1. 1. Who Is The True Tiger King?

• Joe Exotic
    • Carole Baskin
    • Bhagavan Antle
    • John Finlay
    • John Reinke
    • Kelci Saffery
    • Erik Cowie

Watched this weekend - NOS4A2 season 1, which was good fun. Also jumped on Mr Mercedes; watched the first 2 episodes of season 1, which are excellent, I hope it holds up. Currently watching Dead Man's Line on Amazon, which is fucking bananas. A definite watch.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we all know who the real Tiger King is, guys.

Better Call Saul is the best thing around atm. This season especially is better than Breaking Bad even. Bob Odenkirk is absolutely killing it. He's phenomenal.

Innit. That dry ski slope is especially shit.

Posted Images

I ended up doing Color Out of Space, and glad I didn't know anything about it. Standard Lovecraft affair but done nicely, and when Nic Cage truly turns up about an hour in it gets really fun. Fancied some brainless stuff so did Aquaman and Hobbs and Shaw and enjoyed both for what they are, but they both ran a good 20 minutes too long and prove that action movies really don't need to be longer than 2 hours.

TV show wise I finally finished Vice Principals the other week, and then did Righteous Gemstones this weekend. Absolutely love the Danny McBridge/Jody Hill shows, and Edi Patterson is just the absolute best.

So yeah, very deep and arty weekend for me.

I’ve watched a few movies the last week;

Kickboxer: Vengeance - A bit shit, but in a good, cheesy way. Criminal lack of JCVD kicking arse.

Midsommar - Nicely shot, and not a bad movie by any stretch, but I found it a bit underwhelming. I also didn’t like any of the characters, but I wasn’t sure if you were supposed to? Interested to know what everyone else thought.

The Night Eats The World - French zombie movie, lovely stuff with lots of nice camerawork and editing, and fittingly quite poignant at the moment. Very much enjoyed it.

The Last Dance (Bulls/MJ docuseries) is killing it right now. If they'd dumped all the episodes in one go I'd have done 10 hours back to back only stopping for food and piss breaks. 2 episodes a week is a nice pacing though and it's given me something to look forward to in lockdown. 

It's really a masterpiece in Sports docs, with superb editing and structure. Just brilliantly crafted the way they use key moments from the 98 season (MJ's last in Chicago) to relate back to the key moments of his career and tell his entire story. Highly recommend. 

I can't cope with anything taxing at the moment so multiple episodes of New Girl on Netflix. It's terrible but I love it anyway. 

Working through Studio Ghibli films on Netflix and watched Pom Poko for the first time. Not my favourite but still good.

And a lot of Disney +

Just got a hook up for free year's pass for BFI from a friend - if I hadn't already got it, I would definitely shell out for it. It's a revelaton. Fiver a month or fifty a year for an amazing collection of classic and modern films and also the most incredible collection of archive footage, all archived on a map of the UK. From Cardiff Blitz, Porthcawl in the 50s (both of which were strange without Barry Welsh talking over them) through Aberfan, the miner's strikes, even a 4 minute video of someone driving around Bridgend pre-pedestrianisation, with it's loads of pubs, hoards of revellers and a gleaming bus station, which to be fair hit me harder than Schindler's List. 

We just recently watched: The Bicycle Thieves, Les Regles du Jeu, La Notte, Stroszek, Listen Up Phillip and tens of hours of local footage from South Wales. Pretty sure that archive stuff is accessible for free too.

18 hours ago, BlackHowl said:

The Last Dance (Bulls/MJ docuseries) is killing it right now. If they'd dumped all the episodes in one go I'd have done 10 hours back to back only stopping for food and piss breaks. 2 episodes a week is a nice pacing though and it's given me something to look forward to in lockdown. 

It's really a masterpiece in Sports docs, with superb editing and structure. Just brilliantly crafted the way they use key moments from the 98 season (MJ's last in Chicago) to relate back to the key moments of his career and tell his entire story. Highly recommend. 

I'm really looking forward to this, the OJ doc was incredible and 30 For 30 is just one of the best documentary series' ever.

I started watching Betty on HBO last night, I totally didn't know it was being made. It's a continuation of Skate Kitchen from 2018 which I loved. It seemed to get lost in the mix of skating movies due to the Jonah Hill mid90s film (which was fine) and Minding the Gap (which was really good), but I preferred Kitchen to both of those personally. 

Also finished Never Have I Ever which despite being a comdey managed to hit enough buttons in the final episode that I wasn't expecting that I just got wrecked. Yay, thanks TV.

Jay, are you gonna buy this Saturday's UFC card? We get all fights free on BT Sport, plus we have UFC Fight Pass so get early prelims too, but this has to be one of the greatest cards of all time, assuming it goes ahead without a hitch. I'd LOVE to be able to watch it in real time with a beer or two - you should totally jump on it! Tony Ferguson is literally the greatest fighter on the planet. Not to mention Ngannou and Pettis being on the card too. Can't fucking wait.

I haven't followed UFC in about a decade, but I'll see if I can find a working stream online and jump in. PPVs are like $60 here for sporting things, it's ridic. They still charge the $10 fee for HD too from memory, absolutely stuck in the past.

• Like 1

Can we talk about how badly Rick and Morty fell off? First two seasons felt genuinely fresh and very funny and well written. Third season less so but still with some really good bits. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why exactly, but this fourth season seems like trash to me. 

20 hours ago, stillagoth said:

Started watching The Wire last night - only did the very first one and I can tell this is going deep... about to watch another few now before bed. 

First 5 episodes or so is build up, build up, build up then it just kicks into gear so hard and you know everything going on from both sides. 

11 hours ago, BlackHowl said:

Can we talk about how badly Rick and Morty fell off? First two seasons felt genuinely fresh and very funny and well written. Third season less so but still with some really good bits. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why exactly, but this fourth season seems like trash to me. 

I still like it plenty, but I don't really view it with expectations beyond 'will it make me laugh'. Thought the new episode was funny, and I enjoy them taking swipes at their toxic fanbase.

4 hours ago, MonkDave666 said:

Checking back in on Mr Mercedes 6 or 7 episodes in to season 1 - the soundtrack is rad! Loads of Reagan Youth, fucking Slapshot last episode we saw lol. Great series so far as well, pretty heavy dog. I'd recommend it.

Ha, a show I've heard of but know nothing about but the soundtrack list sounds fun. I wish I just didn't have an absolute slew of dramas to get through.

Finally finished Mandalorian last night which was excellent all the way through, RIP my boy

IG-11

. Upload was good but leant in really heavily on the plot I don't care that much about in the last few episodes and didn't end in a particularly great place. 

On 5/7/2020 at 8:32 AM, BlackHowl said:

You are not the only one. Seems like it is trying too hard.

i think the drawn out gaps compared to having them all in one go on Netflix hasn’t helped.

I started watching Solar Opposites (Justin Roiland) and it’s making up for the substandard Rick and Morty.

I don't like this new thing of wacky far out shows about like intergalactic time travelling dysfunctional families or whatever. Rick and Morty wasn't that funny, but they said everything very quickly and angrily so I guess that's what they're going for.

• Like 1

We also watched Skate Kitchen over the weekend. Been meaning to for ages as I personally think Mid-90's is excellent (as someone who was probably at their peak of skateboarding in this exact era, including going to San Francisco for two weeks with Pritch and others to skate all the spots in the big videos of the time, I thought the tone and feel was spot on. It helps that Jonah Hill used to skate back then, with a lot of pros at the Santa Monica courthouse), so I have to say I am actually staggered by how atrocious I thought it was.

It's basically a "proof of concept" by a 6th former who wants to go to film school. It's like they took some vague ideas from films like the one with Juno on rollerblades, and completely ripped off scenes very badly from Kids, and came out with nothing. And what's even worse is we then watched the first episode of Betty, thinking HBO might take this "proof of concept" and do something much better with it, like GIRLS with skateboards or something. But no, it's actually a total mess, especially as it makes NO sense whatsoever if you've seen the movie. 

Super mega dissapointed on all accounts - sorry Jay!

Ah that's a shame, I did like mid90s plenty but just preferred Kitchen. Crazy how 2018 was the year of the skating film, though.

I watched that How To Build a Girl, which has Jonah Hill's sister in it who was great in Booksmart. I wish I hadn't read prior that it was written by Caitlin Moran as I then saw every scene as her just writing  way to blow smoke up her own ass. It was alright I guess, but I just find Moran very annoying and it shone through in the writing.

e: also yeah, kkklansman was great for sure. The bit with the bomb was just ear to ear grins. 

Also finsihed Solar Opposites which got better as it went on, the wall arc was the best part but I enjoyed the alien hijinks too. 

I LOVED Mid90s. It really resonated hard with me. Inner city LA vs rural Monmouthshire aside, there were a lot of parallels between my early adolescence and Stevie's. I was quite emotional at the end of it actually. Just pure drowning in nostalgia and remembering how much I loved that time. 

I bet you were a proper little shit of a grommet 😃 When's the last time you skated? Get a complete set-up sorted and come down to our early Saturday morning sessions down the bay once the covids is over. You can re-live those learning to ollie memories all over again!

Speaking of nostalgia, they've finaaaaaally announced a proper HD redo of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 in a double pack with most of the original music. Looks absolutely perfect and everything I've been waiting for for years. Roll on September (human life now scheduled to become extinct in August).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MonkDave666 said:

I bet you were a proper little shit of a grommet 😃 When's the last time you skated? Get a complete set-up sorted and come down to our early Saturday morning sessions down the bay once the covids is over. You can re-live those learning to ollie memories all over again!

I've actually got a complete. Got it last summer and didn't use it once! But yeah, I'll definite come meet you down the Bay when it's possible just to cruise around the ramps. I've never been one for tricks. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, JayX said:

Speaking of nostalgia, they've finaaaaaally announced a proper HD redo of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 in a double pack with most of the original music. Looks absolutely perfect and everything I've been waiting for for years. Roll on September (human life now scheduled to become extinct in August).

Consumed - Heavy Metal Winner. Best song of any Tony Hawk game ever IMHO. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JayX said:

Due to the fact Skate 4 is never gonna fucking get announced, and all those half-built Skate knock offs suck, I will probably buy this. Not a big fan of the controls, but I did have the originals on a PS1 back in the day, and enjoyed them then. It's just that the SKATE controls are so perfect, at this point I'd even settle for a next gen re-do of Skate 2, as long as it included the Skate 3 "hardcore" mode.

1 hour ago, BlackHowl said:

I've actually got a complete. Got it last summer and didn't use it once! But yeah, I'll definite come meet you down the Bay when it's possible just to cruise around the ramps. I've never been one for tricks. 

The bay is great for doing exactly that, just cruising around it, over the hump, back around - many fun, especially when there's no one else there. Whoop!

• Like 1