Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

General Cinema Talk

419 posts in this topic

Posted

What have you seen in the cinema lately, dudes?

This weekend I went to see World War Zee. I thought it was better than many of the reviews have given it credit for. The narrative, such as it was, was little weak and some large plot holes. On the whole I thought it kept the tension quite high and didn't just rely on CGI carnage and cheap jumps.

Before Midnight - If you haven't seen this then you're a damn fool. It's a great addition to the story of Jesse and Celine and fits in perfectly with the other two movies. Even if you haven't seen either of the others I would suggest catching this in the cinema and then go back to see the others.

Posted

I'll probably miss Before Midnight because I want to re-watch the other 2 before I see it. No big deal, as long as the new one actually comes out on Blu-Ray (the other two still haven't, fuckers).

Probably see Despicable Me 2 this week with friends. I can see myself cancelling my Cineworld card finally though, I just never use the thing :(

Posted

Saw This Is the End last week - amazing. Even better, it was in one of these "mega bigger special" screens at 11am on a weekday in Times Square, and there was only 2 other people in the entire place.

World War Z was atrocious, and this is coming from someone that was really looking forward to it. "I heard there's a guy in Jerusalem that might know something about a thing or two" - 2 mins later, on plane to Jerusalem. Lol. I will watch it again on a TV though, as we were stuck right at the front and half way through 2 assholes came in, sat right next to me and spent 45 minutes going "noooo way buoy!!!" every time anything at all happened. And eating loud as fuck and mixing some fucking drink combination up. Fucking Americans.

Posted

Yeah I saw TITE on a preview a few weeks ago, it's fucking amazing. It's one of those films where I felt self conscious because I was laughing so hard, then worried that it's just an average film I found super funny for no reason.

Posted

World War Z was atrocious, and this is coming from someone that was really looking forward to it. "I heard there's a guy in Jerusalem that might know something about a thing or two" - 2 mins later, on plane to Jerusalem. Lol.

So, in this Zombie epidemic the part that pushed your suspension of disbelief to breaking point was that a UN investigator would have his own plane?

Posted

I guess so!

Posted

Nothing. I haven't been for weeks. The last thing we saw was Mud just before it ended. I've missed Star Trek, Iron Man, Great Gatsby and loads of other smaller films too.

The Cineworld card is an expensive bit of plastic at the moment but I do plan to start going regularly again shortly. Really want to see This Is the End.

Posted

Vue are now doing the Cornetto Trilogy (Cardiff wasn't on the list before) of The World's End, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz on the 18th April, which is a Thursday. 7pm or so until 2am I think it said. At £12.50 it's pretty well priced, but given that World's End is out this week, I'll probably have already seen it so can't see me bothering.

Posted

Plus 18th April is almost a year away too.

Posted

I have no idea why I said April. Maybe it's due to the calendar on my desk still saying that. I have a lot of Dilberts to catch up on.

Posted

This Is The End was brilliant, so funny. I went to watch The Heat as well. It was okay, pretty funny in parts but not as good as it could have been.

Posted

I wanna see The Heat, good pick on that as it's not out for a little while here.

Posted (edited)

Vue are now doing the Cornetto Trilogy (Cardiff wasn't on the list before) of The World's End, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz on the 18th April, which is a Thursday. 7pm or so until 2am I think it said. At £12.50 it's pretty well priced, but given that World's End is out this week, I'll probably have already seen it so can't see me bothering.

From looking at The Vue's site it seems The World's End is out on 19th July? Meaning the Cornetto trilogy screening on the 18th would actually be an advance/midnight showing? One of us definitely has muddled their mind, I'm hoping it's not me. Edited by gf'

Posted

Damnit I can't get a single thing right on this, can I? I thought it was out this week because it's on the listings for Cineworld, but they must just have it listed early as yeah - 19th release date. Maybe I will bother then...

Posted

I went to see The Iceman the other day.
It was alright but a bit disappointing. I'd read a book about him (Kuklinski) not long before seeing and the film omits and skates over vast parts of his history yet over emphasizes random other parts.
It wasn't terrible but it just seemed a bit lacking in general.

Posted

This Is The End was brilliant, so funny. I went to watch The Heat as well. It was okay, pretty funny in parts but not as good as it could have been.

Going to see TITE tomorrow night, hope it's as good as most people are saying.

Posted

Going to see the internship tonight its free but I don't hold much hope.

Posted

Going to see TITE tomorrow night, hope it's as good as most people are saying.

If you don't know who any of the people are, or watched their other films, you probably won't get it so much. Michael Cera is especially brilliant.

Posted

The last film I saw in the cinema was Gangster Squad (!) which was rubbish.

Posted (edited)

Saw 'This is the end' last night. Good fun. Cera's part although small was fucking amazing.

Plus Satan's dick was awesome.

Quick recap of some of the other films I've seen recently.

World War Z: Not all that gripping. Concept was interesting but the overall story just wasn't all that engaging.

Man Of Steel: Some great scenes but managed to quite effectively drive me to boredom from about half way in. Way too much smashy smashy, felt like Snyder had A.D.D. or something.

The Iceman: Whilst not strictly a true retelling of Richard Kuklinski's life it was never the less quite a gripping thriller. Not to mention Michael Shannon being ace. Most succinct description I've heard is Zodiac meets Goodfellas.

Maniac (a few months ago): Haven't seen the original but shit this was gory. Also had some beautiful cinematography. Elijah Wood totally pulled it off too. Not the best film overall but the level of brutality and gore made it enjoyable for me. Certainly not for everyone.

And for one that I only recently watched on DVD..

Warm Bodies: Far more enjoyable than I was expecting. Essentially Romeo and Juliet dropped into the setting of a zombie apocalypse. It didn't focus too much on the zombie's themselves but instead the stories of the main characters. Quite charming and pretty funny to boot. Date movie for sure. Edited by gf'

Posted

Warm Bodies was good. It managed to have a sweet, romantic ending without being sickly.

Posted

I'll probably miss Before Midnight because I want to re-watch the other 2 before I see it. No big deal, as long as the new one actually comes out on Blu-Ray (the other two still haven't, fuckers).

I don't see the logic behind that decision, really. The perfect way to watch these films is with the same gaps of time in between the films as in between the viewings of the films. Watching the other two shortly before the new one could only detract from the experience as far as I can see.

Posted

I went to see The Iceman the other day.
It was alright but a bit disappointing. I'd read a book about him (Kuklinski) not long before seeing and the film omits and skates over vast parts of his history yet over emphasizes random other parts.
It wasn't terrible but it just seemed a bit lacking in general.

Agreed. The most interesting thing about the guy is that he was a serial killer before the mob hired him as a hit man and would have been out killing people regardless. You don't really get that from the film. Still a pretty good piece of work, but not quite worthy of the "Goodfellas meets Zodiac" tag that it got. Also: Ross!

Posted (edited)

Things I've seen recently:

Before Midnight - as Chris said, brilliant. What a cracking trilogy Linklater has managed to create. I didn't realise until this week (it wasn't public knowledge until recently) that he made Before Sunrise based on his own experience of meeting a girl and hitting it off and falling in love instantly. He made the film hoping that she would see it and get in touch and all that (as with Jesse's book in the sequel). He found out a couple of years ago that she died in a motorbike crash just before the first film was released.

This Is The End - don't remember laughing that much at a film in quite a while. I will probably go see it again next week some time. Such a brilliant idea for a story.

World War Z - I generally don't like Zombie films, and although this followed essentially the same formula as all modern retellings of the same story, it did a better job than most of holding my attention - due - not in small part - to Cardiff getting name dropped multiple times.

Man Of Steel - sucked a dick. I walked out with about 30 minutes left. Fuck Superman.

Can't think of much else. Edited by hail of bullets

Posted

I was going to see Man of Steel before h2o tonight, but you've all convinced me to go to the pub instead.