Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Netflix

118 posts in this topic

Posted

I have Hola as a backup, but the fact it's a VPN service and not a DNS one puts me off. Also

t works through the community of its users - Hola users help you to access the web, and you help them in return when your computer is not in use

Yeah, I'd rather not thanks. Having a service on my router means I don't have to arse about with anything, ever, and I can do stuff on the Apple TV and my phone without having to lift a finger ever. Heck, I rarely even need the service but it's useful to have running and half the time I don't realise it's helped watch something I wasn't supposed to. 

Posted

I don't really know what that means. When I'm not watching Netflix I always have it turned off.

Posted

I have now read up on Hola and have uninstalled it. I am trying out Zenmate which seems to work and is also free, is this a better option?

Posted

Zenmate is pretty decent for the browser but I've found it to be painfully slow if it does manage to work on the android, which is what we're using netflix on the most.

I've signed up for the free week of unblock-us you suggest @JayX but I have absolutely no idea where the DNS settings are on this Deutsche Telekom router so for now I've set it up on the PC and it works flawlessly. Tried setting it up on the mobile (htc one m8) but it keeps dropping connection it seems, will give it another go later.

Running out of skate videos to watch on Netflix now, time to look for something else!

Posted

I have now read up on Hola and have uninstalled it. I am trying out Zenmate which seems to work and is also free, is this a better option?

Is there more stuff that I don't know about? I just read what it said on Hola's own site that made me weary.

I've signed up for the free week of unblock-us you suggest @JayX but I have absolutely no idea where the DNS settings are on this Deutsche Telekom router so for now I've set it up on the PC and it works flawlessly. Tried setting it up on the mobile (htc one m8) but it keeps dropping connection it seems, will give it another go later.

​I find that ISP provided routers often strip things out like the ability to set your own DNS. It's pretty annoying. In that case setting it within the machine itself seems to be the only way.

Posted

Having just been in Canada where I looked at the huge range of films available on Netflix there at a cheaper monthly subscription rate to the UK, I now feel a bit ripped off.

Posted

I set up the unblock-us thing and it worked a treat, unbelievably easy. Got a free trial for a month (with no card details exchanged) but for >£3 a month I think I'll be keeping it.

Definitely one of those 'technology is brilliant!' moments.

Posted

@Kate G it's worth checking out the other services they support too... Hulu might be a bit quiet at the moment as were between TV seasons but there should still be a bunch of stuff to watch. Plus you have other countries like Australia who put out the odd non-garbage show like Danger 5, which is usually geo locked. 

@Matt Cheap the Unblock US service we use supports Canadian Netflix too, you just switch the country in a drop down menu and you get that library. I think some sites exist to tell you the differences between countries' selections. 

Posted

i've had Netflix for about 2 months and i've seen literally everything that's worth watching on it. need to try out the US version.

Posted

Setup unblock-us at the other half's in Prague. She was using tunnelbear before and it wasn't that reliable, plus you couldn't use it on all devices. This seems to be do a better job, plus it's nice you can easily switch countries.

Posted

I appreciate that we're not going to have the same films available in the UK as the USA because of rights reasons, but not only is it cheaper over there, they seem to have much bigger catalogue of films and programmes to choose from. According to http://netflixukvsusa.blogspot.co.uk/, the figures are

Netflix USA: 8996 movies/shows
Netflix UK: 3355 movies/shows

The UK service is pretty shit in comparison.

Posted

It's always worth trying to see what you can buy from US versions of the page. Like, I just signed up to Adobe Creative Cloud and it's the equivalent of £6.50 a month compared to like £8.60 over here for the exact same thing, so I used that and it went through fine even though I used an address that my card isn't registered to. Amazon.com gives you unlimited photo storage (including 'raw' files which I shoot in, and given that I take up to 1,000 shots a session at 30mb a piece.. that adds up!) for like $13 a year compared to the UK which has no comparable deal at all. 

Posted

Hello Massive, does anyone know if I can get the US Netflix on my lovely Samsung smart tv? The Internet tells me I can but I'm not so sure.

Posted

What router do you have? What internet options does the smart TV give you with regards to connection?

Posted

Does anyone have a simple solution to autoplaying an entire season on Netflix? I know it autoplays but after 2 or 3 episodes we need to 'click to continue watching' shit. So far people keep suggesting wireless mice or getting an app (server side for laptop and client side android?). Anyone do the latter? Or are there any chrome scripts etc worth looking at?

Posted

Not sure when this happened but every episode of Red Dwarf is on Netflix now.

Posted

Making A Murderer was the first thing I've fully binged on Netflix in ages.

Posted

Same. Fucking amazing. Went and watched The Jinx after as remember people raving about that earlier in the year. Much enjoy.