Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Netflix

118 posts in this topic

Posted

Finally decided to get it. At £5.99 a month it seems worth it for the amount of stuff I will watch, especially working from home. I already watched some documentaries yesterday, today I am about to watch My Soul To Take. I can already sense it'll be the best film ever made.

I understand you can access the US version via some magic, and I did install Spotflux to do this via, but it won't connect. Anyone got any other ideas which make Netflix think I am in America, for free?

Posted

I did the one month trial of this a while back and whilst a good service there wasn't enough of the things I'd like to stream available. I'd want thousands of films, plus HBO, Showtime, AMC and other US channels' TV shows that I currently acquire from other sources. Unfortunately at the time that was certainly not available and looking like it would never be, certainly from the HBO side of things as they want to remain exclusive to their customers. Which seems like cutting their nose off to spite their face given how many millions of people must watch their shows illegally across the world.

Posted

I think there's enough on there right now to last me a good few months, it just depends if they keep adding stuff or not. I find downloading from torrent sites to be a tedious effort at times, so if I can just stream there and then that works for me for now. I would like to access the US version though, I know it has a lot more stuff on it.

Posted

I had this for 2 months on the ps3, served me good for 2 months and then I couldn't justify paying for it when I was just left with chick flicks and shit documentaries.

I wish they'd update it more regularly and maybe have like special occasions where they premier a new film for like 2 nights.

Posted

I've had it for a few months but I've probably only been getting my money's worth recently. I've watched up to season 3 of Breaking Bad in the last two weeks, and they're getting season 4 on Saturday. We also watched Appropriate Adult last week and I've spotted quite a few films on there I want to see. With the almost constant shutting down of torrent sites at the moment I do prefer to get content from a reputable source where possible.

From the interviews I've read with the main guy behind it, it's a work in progress. He's started bidding against LoveFilm and Sky (who have a serious monopoly on US TV) to get rights to more content and to be successful he needs the power of subsribers behind him. I'm happy to hang on and pay my £6 for now in the hope they'll continue to grow. If not, then it's easy enough to cancel.

Posted

That's interesting, when I first tried they only had season 1 of Breaking Bad I think. If they had more shows like that then I'd happily pay, if they weren't too far behind regular TV with the schedules. If they're only just putting up season 4 then they're around a year behind, and if they want to combat torrents then they need to catch up.

Posted

Just so you guys know, My Soul To Take really was probably the best film ever made.

Posted

Can't remember where I saw it (was it Jay?), but apparently Netflix serves up it's library to the country you're located in, not the country your account is associated to.

In theory, using something like Tunnelbear should give you access to the USA catalogue. Can't say I've tried it yet.

Posted

Yes, that's what Spotflux does but it won't connect. Probably something to do with Vista.

Posted

I got Lovefilm, dvds, stream and games package; but there is a similar problem when it comes to the streaming catalogue. You basically run out of films that are worth watching.

Posted

I've mucked about with changing the DNS (which is what Netflix uses to detect geographical location, which is really odd) and eventually got some joy out of it, but then everything I clicked said it wasn't available for online streaming and I got bored and gave up.

That's my Netflix story.

Posted

I used the US Netflix for a couple months, it's now all been cancelled but I used a payed VPN service and it worked really well. Apart from obviosuly having to pay more but it seemed worth it at the time.

http://unblock-us.com/ - it gives a good setup. Think it was like $4 a month.

There's probably free versions but it I gave up early and splashed out.

Posted (edited)

Yes, that's what Spotflux does but it won't connect. Probably something to do with Vista.

Good shout on Spotflux, just tried it - works a dream and it's free!

Hotspot Shield is another free alternative which works. Edited by gf'

Posted

Spotflux is working for me too! Great stuff.

Posted

Quitting love film for Netflix. Just not enough choice or decent films. At least there are better tv series on Netflix.

Posted

Damn my Vista PC. Hopefully have a new one soon. I might try Spotflux on my Windows 7 laptop later on though, if that doesn't work it must be my connection. Glad it's working out for folks!

Posted

To get US Netflix I use Unotelly. It's a pay service but wasn't expensive for a years subscription and is piss easy to use. It also means you can access other US content on websites like MTV etc. US Netflix is really good - workaholics, the league, mad men, breaking bad, parks and rec, Wilfred.. Loads of good TV. Weirdly some stuff is only on in the UK though (all seasons of sunny in Philadelphia and both seasons of portlandia)

Posted

Do I believe you Ally or these people?..............http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/258/
If I watch this and it turns out to be the crap they say it is I will hunt you down like a dawg.

Posted

Just remembered I have a new computer. Installed Spotflux, now on Netflix US - awesome. First stop, "The American Scream".

Posted

American horror story is awesome, watched the first one last night on US netflix on my Xbox. Like having a new toy!

Posted

Season 2 of that is totally different right? I saw the first episode of Season 1 and thought it was boring but hearing better things about it now.

Posted

Boring? Dead twins, stranger in a gimp suit, creepy Down syndrome girl, burns victim, monster in the basement, guy jerking off over an old lady... I thought it was great. Like David lynch doing a mainstream horror.
Each season is like a seperate mini series. So series 2 has nothing to do with series 1.

Posted

You nailed it with the mainstream horror line, I find that kinda stuff horribly boring unfortunately and couldn't be arsed to watch on.

Posted

Spotflux is working perfectly on my Mac, good tip!

Does anyone know how to do the same thing for Netflix on my PS3?

Posted

If you can change your DNS settings on the router itself (rather than on each computer), then Unblock US works great for Netflix and a bunch of other things like Hulu. I think you can edit the DNS on the PS3 too, but I found it much easier to just set it once and let every machine in the house have it. Costs about £2 a month but worth it as I use a fair few sites that take advantage.