SWM 10th Anniversary Gig Needs Your Help

109 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes, as mentioned in a few other threads... SWM hit's it's decade anniversary this year. It felt only appropriate to do a proper celebration as that's silly long for a site catered to niche music in a specific locality. I'm not even sure what niche we appeal to now.

Rather than half arsing something, I think it'd be really good to put on something memorable as it's unlikely to hit 20 years, realistically.

So mid-October or early November I'd like to book an affordable venue out for the weekend, and put on as many bands that either got started from here or are made up of members here, friends of ours (Conan and the like) and anyone remotely relevant. It's been a while since we had a group effort thing here and they were always some of the best shows. I've noticed once a year or so there always seems to be a gig that everyone is at, sometimes through fluke or a Douglas reunion or similar.

So anyone up for helping out, post post post. Anything I do myself show wise is hit/miss so the aim is to try [s]rope[/s] get as many of you guys as possible to help. There's some great artists on here so any chance of getting an awesome poster would be wicked, promoters with far better organisational skills than me and loads of people to spread the word and help out in any other way.

It'd be great to set a stupidly low ticket price on this and get a ton of people through the doors for a load of good bands. Venue hire will be an expense but fingers crossed I can get a good price somewhere and that'll be the worst done.

I've found a few threads that talk about stuff SWM has either done or personal memories that are worth a read. I'm not sure how much money raised for charity totalled, but it must've been around £20,000 which is pretty rad. I miss our community efforts, hope some of you feel the same way!

'How Long Has SWM Been Going?' - http://www.southwalesmassive.com/index.php?showtopic=78171&st=40
'Bands (and other things) that wouldn't have happened without SWM' - http://www.southwalesmassive.com/index.php?showtopic=67534&st=0

The band one is a few years old too so a ton of other bands have popped up since, and it's cool to see how the user base has changed over time with regards to tastes (and temperaments!). Feel free to post new-nostalgia here too then!

Posted

Oh and someone make a 10th Anniversary shark as the Christmas one is getting bloody stale now.

Posted

Great idea. fully backed.

Posted

Someone say it then: "DDF reunion"

Event is a great idea though!

Posted

Someone say it then: "DDF reunion"

I've been trying to think of bands that would make a good reunion if we could convince them, totally forgot about that. Great idea. Anyone who knows the guys closer than myself, is this a possibility?

Posted

Diggers!

Posted

What about the best/favourite Stars bands playing too?

Posted

I'll do whatever i can to help.

i can lend gear if it's needed or get some t-shirts printed up or something.

Posted

Cheers to everyone responded so far, here and on my Facebook wall. I also noticed Jon Timney asking about Disco Assassins so that would be cool.

Sam's offered Le Pub up for free which is awesome, I was thinking maybe doing Newport on the Saturday and then Cardiff (downstairs Clwb perhaps) on the Sunday. I think that'd be pretty neat.

Posted

I would do Friday and Saturday nights. No one wants to go to a gig on a Sunday, and everyone will just get blasted on the Saturday night then not bother with Sunday anyway. Just saying.

Posted

I'd stick to one night..

Posted

Just one night is better, more chance of getting everyone in one place at the same time. I can't do anything to help other turn up and have a laugh.

Posted

I'm happy to help in whatever way I can.

Posted

Yeah, just a Saturday in a good venue, start earlier like 5pm or something... maybe just change the date completely, go for summer so we can wear shorts and stuff. Everyone is happier in the summer. Sometimes less is better. Personally, I'm looking forward to sharing a beer with Mafoota, Chest Rockwell and Nicky Gunracks. Now THAT is what SWM is all about!

Posted (edited)

Le Pub. One night. A Saturday. Most sense.

(In b4 Monk Dave: 'nonce sense'.) Edited by Kate G

Posted

Yeah, curse your sensibilities... that's probably the better idea.

Posted

Great Idea. Im up for anything to do with it, poster (Luke, shall we co-op on this on?), and im Sure PUS would be happy to play (as it was the first place me and Bob spoke).

Posted

Yeah, just a Saturday in a good venue, start earlier like 5pm or something... maybe just change the date completely, go for summer so we can wear shorts and stuff. Everyone is happier in the summer. Sometimes less is better. Personally, I'm looking forward to sharing a beer with Mafoota, Chest Rockwell and Nicky Gunracks. Now THAT is what SWM is all about!

It's hard to predict the weather, but I'm happy to bump it up to a day where we're more likely to have sunshine and warmth if others want to do that? Anyone know if they're predicting a decent July/August for a change or is it going to be April/May time again?

Posted

Surely it's just always April / May now, with winter from June to end of March? That seems to be the standard nowadays! Don't make it 25th May or later, we'll be away for 3 weeks!

Posted

A bank holiday weekend? First one is May 5/6/7. Maybe that doesn't allow enough planning time though.

Posted

I'll help out however I can obvz. Been struggling to think of a lineup that I'd love to see (that is feasible) though.

Could always do a garan cabaret band, doing classic/amazing party tunes :P
Eff knows.

Posted

This event needs Lucy's vegan cakes and no mistake.

Posted

a kid called power.

i've been thinking about this, i don't want to get all negi but is there a risk that only the current users will turn up which is probably about 50 people. Do you think old users will actually come out for this or is likely to end up a bit of a damp squib?

Posted

ONB, The Threat or DDF reunions would float my boat!

Posted

a kid called power.

i've been thinking about this, i don't want to get all negi but is there a risk that only the current users will turn up which is probably about 50 people. Do you think old users will actually come out for this or is likely to end up a bit of a damp squib?

The three hour seminar, 'When I Was a Lad All These Websites Were Just Fields: An Introspective on The Pre-Facebook Internet' where people in their 30s moan about the recent lack of luring mouthy idiots onto the forum just to point and laugh at them, might put some off...

But nah, it'll be advertised like any other gig and AFAIK there isn't a huge Anti-SWM movement in existence that people will jump to boycott it or anything daft like that.