Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gigs you're so glad you didn't miss

100 posts in this topic

Posted

Same idea as the other thread, but what gigs are you so glad you didn't miss. All time classics.

Pantera in Newport Centre on the Reinventing the Steel tour - I wish I saw them indoors on an earlier tour, but was still a great gig.

Sepultura in Newport centre on the Roots tour - no way was it their best album, but they were at the height of their career and fucking awesome!

Fantomas in TJs - as mentioned in the other thread - just amazing to see a supergroup like that in a packed out TJs.

Therapy secret TJs gig - rammed, rammed, rammed and £3 a ticket. Great stuff.

Metallica at Donington 2004 I think - Lars didn't turn up, Dave Lombardo played, the greatest thing that could have happened to Metallica ever, if only it was permanent.

Metallica at Donington 2006 - Master of Puppets back to back - awesome, just showed how good they were

Morbid Angel - TJs - amazing

Nile - TJs - empty gig, but amazing nonetheless, behemoth supporting too!

Iron Maiden - Newport Centre, Blaze Bailey era - couldn't have given a shit about the irons at this gig, but My Dying Bride supporting introduced me to a whole darker side of music!

I'm sure there's many many more.

Posted

Offspring and NOFX - TJs - absolutely fucking brilliant and my benchmark for all shows since. Offspring came over as the new Epitaph big guns, they slept on the floor of TJs and borrowed NOFX's gear. They absolutely destroyed.

Motley Crue 1985 St Davids Hall - I just couldnt believe that my idols and impossibly cool band from LA were playing in my little town. I caught a drumstick thrown by Tommy Lee and then got filled in by 3 blokes to get it off me. I emailed Tommy Lee about this years ago and he emailed back saying he was sorry I got 'worked over' and if we ever met he'd hook me up with another one.

Motley Crue 2006 - CIA, I've seen a ton of bands since I saw Motley Crue when i was 15. Some good, some bad, some really famous etc, and i've never been blown away simply by a band being there. At this show I was with My brother ( who was too young to go to the 80's show ) Josh and Cecil, we had a little kind of box thing at the back, elevated but smack in front of the stage. Motley Crue hit the stage, the banner at the front fell down and there they were again. I just started giggling excitedly like I did as a little boy twenty years before.

Deicide ( TJS I think ) Scene of my altercation with Glen Benton.

Converge - 2004 ? Alex B's show in MS1. Fuck Converge and their greedy road manager, but this was the ONB CD release show, and it really went well for the band. They played really well and Darkie got carried through the front of the crowd. We sold bundles of CDs ( cue 'that was the only time' snipes ) and Josh was having trouble selling them fast enough. Im pretty sure this was also the night I talked to Mevs about the possibility of doing the DDF EP.

Posted

Ah yes Motley Crue at the CIA was indeed an amazing gig!

FTMO farewell gig in Le Pub - the best they ever were!

You've mentioned the Glen Benton incident before. I don't remember them ever playing TJs - the most local I can think of is Bristol. What happened? Do you know roughly what year it was?

Posted

Reading 95: Soundgarden, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese dream era), Neil young with Pearl Jam as backing band, Foo Fighters first UK performance, Silverchair's first UK performance - hell of a lineup.

Posted

cough*gay*cough

Posted

Ah yes Motley Crue at the CIA was indeed an amazing gig!

FTMO farewell gig in Le Pub - the best they ever were!

You've mentioned the Glen Benton incident before. I don't remember them ever playing TJs - the most local I can think of is Bristol. What happened? Do you know roughly what year it was?

It was a looooong time ago because I was drunk, very very drunk as I usually was at shows. Im absolutely sure it was TJs because there were animal rights protestors outside, which apart from jumping on and off the stage ( to escape the band filling me in ) is all I remember. I've never been a fan of Deicide and Glen Benton always got on my nerves.

I was so drunk this show might never have happened, been in Bristol or anywhere, but im sure it was TJS

Posted

Pantera in Newport Centre on the Reinventing the Steel tour - I wish I saw them indoors on an earlier tour, but was still a great gig.

That was amazing.

Prodigy Newport centre just before Fat of the land dropped, that is my all time favourite gig.

Glade festival 2006 was awesome, The bangface crew, Mad professor's dub show, Autchere, DJ Zinc, Evil Nine.... loads of other cool shit.

Machine Head smashed it in Newport everytime I saw 'em, The show with Meshuggah stands out most for me, and the one with Entombed was killer too.

Ozzfest was ace the year I went aswell, but I cant remember exactly what year, it was when they had the full original sabbath line up and Tool there.

Posted

Same idea as the other thread, but what gigs are you so glad you didn't miss. All time classics.

Sepultura in Newport centre on the Roots tour - no way was it their best album, but they were at the height of their career and fucking awesome!

Fantomas in TJs - as mentioned in the other thread - just amazing to see a supergroup like that in a packed out TJs.

Therapy secret TJs gig - rammed, rammed, rammed and £3 a ticket. Great stuff.

Metallica at Donington 2004 I think - Lars didn't turn up, Dave Lombardo played, the greatest thing that could have happened to Metallica ever, if only it was permanent.

Metallica at Donington 2006 - Master of Puppets back to back - awesome, just showed how good they were

I'm sure there's many many more.

Absolutely 100% backed for all these! Pantera were on fucking fire for that show and in a way I am glad that is my last time seeing them because I wouldn't want to spoil it with a show where Phil was so fucked he couldn't speak.

I saw Nile and Behemoth on the same tour but in Rios instead, amazing stuff.

I would also add to this list:

Sick Of It All - Bradford Rios 1997-ish
Agnostic Front - Bradford Rios around the same time
Voodoo Glowskulls - TJ's Feb 1996
Madball - Camden Underworld around 99ish
Avail - TJ's first time round

Posted

Iron Monkey (demo years)
Diabolo
Taint
Public Disturbance

CF1

I can't remember the order of the 3 locals, but it was hell of a gig!

Posted

Loads of great gigs in TJs
Spermbirds, Poison Idea, Green Day, NOFX + Offspring, Youth Brigade + Bouncing Souls, Victims Family + No Means No.

Other stuff...

James Brown @ Essential Festival, Lee Scratch Perry and Ice T @ Reading, Digable Planets, The Slackers @ Fireside Bowl Chicago.

Converge, 108 and Internal Affairs in Oakland last year.

Posted

Metallica - Saint Davids Hall on the 'Master Of Puppets' tour in '86, supported by Anthrax (who were toruing 'Spreading...'). Was a couple of weeks before Burton died, incredible show...

Anthrax - Saint Davids Hall '87, on the 'Among The Living' tour. At the time, live, there were very few bands who came close to being as good as Anthrax were, but their support band was one of them - Testament, who had just released 'The Legacy'...

Slayer - Newport Centre on the 'South Of Heaven' tour (think it was '88). What more do I need to say? It was Slayer....Oh yeah, they were supported by Nuclear Assault who, at the time, were still an incredible band...

Nuclear Assault - Newport Centre the following year. Not for the band themselves, but their support band - Dark Angel! Unholy thrash goodness...

Death Angel - Riverside Suite, Newport Centre (either 88 or 89, I'm a little hazy as copius amounts fo alcohol were drunk), damn fine show from the youngest band in thrash at the time...

Napalm Death - Clwb Ifor Bach, in '88. Damn, good drunken times, and the first time I saw Life Cycle and The Abnormal, both bands being literally from down the road from wheer I was living, and I'd heard of neither...

Negazione - Transport Club, Cardiff in '88 - Italian HC / Crossover of the finest order. The band damn near changed my life as they were the PERFECT combination of thrash and HC, and were the DEFINITIVE Crossover band.

Cheap Sweaty Fun 100 - Labour Club, Newport - Was originally supposed to be in TJ's, but John's wife died that morning, and the show was moved. Therapy? pulled out for some family reasons, so DOA ended up headlining which, for my money was better than Therapy? anyway, and with the Bosstones and Cowboy Killers in support was a great night...

NOFX / Offspring in TJ's, '93. Offspirng were great, and NOFX were even better...

NOFX - TJ's, '94. Another great NOFX show, made even better by the fact that Guns 'N' Wanker supported them...

Lagwagon - TJ's, '94. They were supposed to play with Face To Face who apparently were kicked out of the country for not having the right work permits or some other such nonsense, so Lagwagon and Simon dropped the door price and Lagwagon did two sets and played EVERYTHING that they'd ever written up to that point and more, including a cover of 'Breaking The Law'. There were about thirty people there...How times have changed...

Rancid - TJ's. Think it was the end of '93, the first tiem they came over. There were simlar numbers to the Lagwagon show in attendance, but Rancid were great. Again, shame how things change over time...

Seaweed / Bivouac - TJ's. Watched the almighty Seaweed and then left after scraping my jaw off the floor. To this day, I still think SEaweed are one of the BEST live abnds I've ever seen..

Misfits - TJ's, the first time they played in support of 'American Psycho' - had been waiting 10 years to see them, never dreamed that I would and then bam, there they were in TJ's...

WHN? - The Junction, Bristol in '03. They played for half an hour and tore the place apart. Plus I met up with Devon who I'd been writing to for a while, and was cool to finally hang out with him...

Municipal Waste - The Junction, Bristol. Playing off the back of 'Waste 'Em All', got pissed with Tony Waste, had a great time and they covered 'Slow Death'...

Holier Than Thou? - Southampton. Road Trip time with Pete and Elgavistan to watch the band play for ten minutes before being shut down by the venue, and then three days later going to London to watch Blood For Blood, who only ended up playing for half an hour...

There are hundreds more (literally!), it's just that those shows were the first ones that popped into my head...Oh, and Pete (Staunch), I went to the Hole show in TJ's. Therapy? were better, Daisy Chainsaw were uh, okay and I spent most of Hole's (who I honestly thought were average at best) set hanging out a lady friend. You didn't really miss much...

Posted

The first 5 of Tim's shows I know as much as there is to know about that era, yet i was too young to travel and too far away to get to. Bastard Cardiff kids don't know they're born!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry2:

:wub:

Posted

Primus - Rock City, Nottingham

Pooka - Pen & Wig, Newport

Spiritualized, Yo La Tengo, And Dr John - Phoenix Festival

Posted

hanging out a lady friend

Sorry to reduce your post to that, but hall of fame typo

Posted

Against Me! @ The Oz Bar, 2002.

They started with 'What We Worked For', all wearing Cardiff City shirts *blush*

Evan Dando @ Clwb, 2002.

He broke his finger the night before but STILL played every Lemonheads anthem you even wanted to hear, a power cut occured during 'Big Gay Heart', the whole crowd carried on singing.

Papa Radon in a garage in Gainesville, 2006

Post-FEST aftershow in a garage after i'd genuinely nearly cried for missing Radon the night before. Future Virgins, Paint It Black and This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb played and the place went fucking mental for each, then Dave 'Papa' Radon just strolled on with his Tele and played every Radon hit.

... loads and loads and loads more, but those two sprung to mind first and foremost. Chuck Ragan last year was pretty special. Planes Mistaken For Stars, too. Too many to mention...

Posted

Sorry to reduce your post to that, but hall of fame typo

Whoops! It is indeed Noel...

Posted

I'm gutted about this one. I was there and didn't really enjoy it, costly cos I though Phil Anselmo was an absolute tit. From memory he was acting like a drunken bozo, trying to seem hard and at one point kicked a security guard in the back of the head.

I still think Anselmo is a twat, but now I LOVE Pantera and I'm gutted I didn't pay more attention at the time.

Posted

Reading 95: Soundgarden, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese dream era), Neil young with Pearl Jam as backing band, Foo Fighters first UK performance, Silverchair's first UK performance - hell of a lineup.

Wasn't that the year that Pennywise opened the main stage's events on the Sunday, NOFX couldn't play because El Hefe has injured himself, and Monster Magnet headlined one of the 'other stages' (Wish they'd call them what they realy are, Tents...)?

Posted

I'm gutted about this one. I was there and didn't really enjoy it, costly cos I though Phil Anselmo was an absolute tit. From memory he was acting like a drunken bozo, trying to seem hard and at one point kicked a security guard in the back of the head.

I still think Anselmo is a twat, but now I LOVE Pantera and I'm gutted I didn't pay more attention at the time.

Tis true, Anselmo was certainly being a wanker. Complaining about the monitors and that. I remember him saying that they would be back to put on a better show in the future...

Posted

Wasn't that the year that Pennywise opened the main stage's events on the Sunday, NOFX couldn't play because El Hefe has injured himself, and Monster Magnet headlined one of the 'other stages' (Wish they'd call them what they realy are, Tents...)?

That's the one. Soundgarden were GIANT, to my 15-year-old self at any rate. Gave up trying to get into Foo Fighters, think I went and watched Bjork instead

Posted

Catatonia in Margam Park, 1999
Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Barfly, 2002
TV on the Radio/Azure Ray/Tim Kasher in Lock 17, Camden 2004.

I can't really think of any other shows that have destroyed my brain with excitement.

Posted

There are loads of these for me, but some of the best were my first ones, cos they smacked me in the face that much harder...

Helloween/Megadeth/Guns N Roses/Dave Lee Roth/KIss/Iron Maiden - Donington MoR 1988

Overkill/Mordred - Years of Decay tour London Astoria 1989

Slayer/Megadeth/Testament/Suicidal Tendencies - Clash of the Titans - Birmingham NEC 1990

Metallica/Warrior Soul - Brum NEC circa Justice tour 1990?

Overkill/Savatage - Horrorscope tour London Astoria 1991

Alice In Chains/Screaming Trees - Dirt tour - Astoria 1993?

Slammer/Pantera - Marquee London 1990/1991? only saw 3 songs of the set and had to split to get the bus to west wales!

Recent...

Rollins/Black Flag set in Sydney about 5 years ago

Anthrax reform gig in Oxford,England a coupla years ago. WOOP!!!

Orange Goblin/Solace Bristol and Cardiff gigs last year

Various - Tilburg - Roadburn '96 and '97

Converge/Destruction/Onslaught/Taint/most of the locals gigs/bands.

Hardly see a duff gig unless it's this bloody gamut of post-rock, neurosis-lite wannabe bands. Cheer up, pull your pants up and play some music instead of din! :rolleyes:

Posted

Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros @ TJ's, a month and a half before Joe passed away. Literally bumped right into him before the gig as he was loading gear in with the others, but didn't have the gal to say anything to him. They started with a Mescaleros number, before going straight into Rudie Can't Fail, Londons Burning and Police On My Back. Speechless.

AM! @ Oz Bar very much changed my life, but in hindsight i guess this has to be the gig i'm most fortunate to have been in attendance. I got to see Joe Strummer, for fuck sake.

Posted

morbid angel - tj's

cannibal corpse - tj's

Zeke , murder city devils , egg raid - tjs

earthtone 9 - tjs

snapcase , avail , taint - tjs

Taint , snowblood - monkey bar

Neurosis - camden forum

isis , cult of luna , 27 - ms1

Daniel Johnston - point

Melvins , deerhoof , part chimp - koko

Sonic youth - roundhouse

Tool , Mastodon - cia

Bush , 3 colours red newport centre

Keelhaul , capricorns, murder of rosa luxembourg , Taint - uni bar

lightning bolt - bristol cooler

melt banana - fleece and firkin

Posted

the bronx in barfly, the first time around, when everyone else went to see give up the ghost in tj's!