So then, back into tech support with a bump.

769 posts in this topic

Posted

Dude calls up cos he's locked out of his laptop.
Because laptops get nicked and have sensitive info on them, I need look up his username on some secure program, and generate a 36 character unlock key for him. He enters it at his end, this lets him onto a new screen that lets him pick a new, more user-friendly password, and problem solved.

So I'm there telling the geezer his unlock key which means saying this kind of crap:

"Tango, whiskey, alpha, delta, foxtrot, ten, bravo, x-ray, yadda yadda yadda..........."

The guy writes all 36 characters and types it in at his end.
It fails.
I read it out to him again.
It fails.
I read it out to him again.
He confirms he has the exact same written down.
It fails again.
It is not case sensitive so that can't be the problem.
I make HIM read out what he's written down.
There are four X's in different places in this 36 character password. He has written down an E instead of an X each time.

Dude thinks the word "x-ray" begins with an E.

Posted

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH what a dick!!!

Posted

Oh I do that too, not because I don't know how to spell xray but because on a bad line echo/xray sound quite similar. the entire point of the phonetic alphabet is to stop things like this..

Posted

I like to make up my own phonetic alphabet.

"E... oh, sorry... um, Elephant!"

Posted

Thats why i usually say 'x for xray' just to make sure that those 'special' kind of customers can't possibly get it wrong. They always manage to fuck it up somehow.

Posted

one day I will be out of tech support, 9.5 years and still nothing looks as if its going to change anytime soon.

Posted

Earlier I had to ring a company to give them an error message a customer was getting
"It says Error 619: Port not detected"
"Horse not detected?"
"No PORT. The Horse wasn't detected either but that's fairly commonplace these days."

Posted

I like to make up my own phonetic alphabet.

"E... oh, sorry... um, Elephant!"

hahahaha. this.

how difficult is it to think of words beginning with the letter in question when put on the spot, though? i hate it. maybe i should just stop being so lazy and learn the real phonetic alphabet.

Posted

Haha yeah me too. All that springs to mind when put on the spot is made-up words or ones with a vague sexual connotation.

G for gaboodle, F for flaps

Posted

one day I will be out of tech support, 9.5 years and still nothing looks as if its going to change anytime soon.

I'd say that if you're still asking questions like this after 9.5 years then you haven't been in it long enough.

:lol: :lol:

Posted

wow. never ceases to amaze me how pathetic people are at spelling these days. I've seen loads of the yoof of today online who say they are students yet cant spell for shit! wtf?

that said, you could just say 'x' instead of x-ray? unless he's on everest i don't know if you need to be that cautious? but yes, definately a darwin candidate. 'sorry sir, you are a moron, the police will be round to put you out of our misery shortly'

Posted

nah its always best to use phonetic alphabet just to be sure. crappy phone lines, various accents etc... s and f sound so similar over the phone, and whilst I wouldn't consider my accent thick, lots of people get individual letters I say incorrect.

Posted

also D & B, M & N, C & E. I try to use the NATO phonetic alphabet, it's funny when people ad lib their own down the phone.

Posted

"That's N for.....nudity"

Posted

nah its always best to use phonetic alphabet just to be sure. crappy phone lines, various accents etc... s and f sound so similar over the phone, and whilst I wouldn't consider my accent thick, lots of people get individual letters I say incorrect.

thanks dad :P so what does X sound like?

Posted

S

Posted

I've got this unnatural response to say 'v for vulva' and I have no idea why. I've never actually said it yet, but I've had to fight it so many times...

Posted

wow. never ceases to amaze me how pathetic people are at spelling these days. I've seen loads of the yoof of today online who say they are students yet cant spell for shit! wtf?

that said, you could just say 'x' instead of x-ray? unless he's on everest i don't know if you need to be that cautious? but yes, definately a darwin candidate. 'sorry sir, you are a moron, the police will be round to put you out of our misery shortly'

Yeah, people's punctuation is pretty bad too ;)

Posted

its welsh typing ebonics. im no crisuse, but i think can type a mean sentence. though im fooked if im gonna try and be ian fleming every time i wanna drop some knowledge for tha kidz :P

(anyway, apart from the 'but' and the capitals, where did i fvck up?)

Posted

its welsh typing ebonics. im no crisuse, but i think can type a mean sentence. though im fooked if im gonna try and be ian fleming every time i wanna drop some knowledge for tha kidz :P

(anyway, apart from the 'but' and the capitals, where did i fvck up?)

*whistles* ;)

Posted

my bad :P

:D

Posted

Let's get back to the part where Ian Flemming became the watermark for decent writing.

Posted

James Bond > Romeo

Posted

Your preference for one character over another does not change the fact that crime/spy fiction is not literature.

Posted

that's arguable. in a 100 years Bond may well be considered literature amongst literature snobs. personally i'm more concerned with how much fluff is stuck to my arse hair.