Books To Films

47 posts in this topic

Posted

To build on the cliche, "... it's not as good as the book", what book-to-film films have you found good/rubbish?

Captain Corelli's Mandolin- the film was completely dire and shameful, missed out the second half of the book and majorly changed the storyline. If I had seen the film first there would have been zero chance of me picking the book up. Doesn't do it justice in the slightest.

Fight Club- I think the mood of the book is portrayed really well in this film. Great casting.

The Pianist- the book is very hard going. Watched the film first, need to come back to the book as I've left it for a while.

High Fidelity- was chatting about this the other night to someone who hadn't read the book. It's a great read, probably my favourite Nick Hornby. John Cusak is pretty much perfect for this, but I was a bit disappointed that the film wasn't set in London, as I feel the main character is very 'British' and the setting actually plays quite a big part in the book.

Deliverance- I haven't seen the film yet, but I found the book seriously boring. Apart from the two pages of the rape scene, it was really tiresome to finish.

There are so many more that keep popping up in my head, but these are my initial thoughts.

[u]Upcoming:[/u]

Lovely Bones- originally thought Peter Jackson was an odd choice for this. I think the hardest part will be conveying the sense/mood of Susie's Heaven. Seems like a massive shift from the films that Jackson has been associated with lately- from epic fantasy to a more intimate storytelling project.

The Dark Knight- I hate to get my hopes up too much, but this initially looks to be the best yet. First film in ages that I will definitely go and see in the cinema.

(Comic book-ers, feel free to take over the thread with discussion of 'comic book films' that you love/hate.)

Actually, on that note, I quite liked 'Ghost World'. One of those films/books where nothing much actually 'happens', but the there are so many subtleties that you can pick up on. Again, loved the casting.

Posted

I went through a stage of watching High Fidelity every Sunday; I just couldn't get enough of that shit.

Good transfers from print to screen:

Everything is Illuminated - although it missed out half the book, it was still excellent. Eugene Hutz was an excellent choice to play Alexander. Totally stonking book, too.

Ghost World - what Kate said.

A Clockwork Orange - I love both the book and the film. The first chapter really throws you in at the deep end with Nadsat being used immediately (although in one copy I have the introduction at the starts does prepare you for the language), but the words Alex uses quickly becomes familiar and understandable within the context of the sentences in which they're found. It is notable that the film is based upon the American version of the book, in which the final, positive chapter is omitted because it leaves the matter of whether Alex's sociopathy has been cured/outgrown open to discussion.

Shoddy interpretations:

The Beach - an exercise in shoddiness. Absolute trash.

American Psycho - Junk. Cheap, tacky, lazy junk.

I can't think of any more.

Posted

I can only think of James and the Giant Peach, which is a better book.

Oh, and Starter for ten by David Nicholls, which is one of my favourite books, I thought the film did it no justice whatsoever and was pretty bland, boring and they changed the storyline.

Posted

I thought the film of lord of the flies was ace, especially considering how young the cast were. Fear and loathing was quite good too, just to add that visual surrealism that the book describes on trips etc. I also thought the film of trainspotting was actually better than the book, which is a rarity in itself.

Posted

Lovely Bones- originally thought Peter Jackson was an odd choice for this. I think the hardest part will be conveying the sense/mood of Susie's Heaven. Seems like a massive shift from the films that Jackson has been associated with lately- from epic fantasy to a more intimate storytelling project.

I cannot wait for this.

Also, Dan Clowes 'Art School Confidential' was a great adaptation, same as Ghost World.

Posted

Fight Club- I think the mood of the book is portrayed really well in this film. Great casting.

Any opportunity I get I will slate this book, it was such a disappointment after the movie. So simplistic and lacking in any real detail, I thought Id accidentally bought a version for kids or something.

Posted

I found that the Big Twist in Fight Club didn't really work so well in the movie as it did in the book. Because, lets face it, how could it?!

Posted

Any opportunity I get I will slate this book, it was such a disappointment after the movie. So simplistic and lacking in any real detail, I thought Id accidentally bought a version for kids or something.

i have to disagree there! i always think of fight club as a successful example of book to film - mainly due to the book being pretty short they didnt have to take any detail out of the story (i think the only part ommited was the subplot of the lyposuction)

most of the films narration and dialogue is direct from the book so dont know why you were disappointed.

maybe you did buy the ladybird edition ;)

Posted

I just think it worked much much better as a visual experience than a written one.. the way the multiple personalities are worked in the movie is fantastic, and when I read the book I was hoping it'd be your typical book>film with loads of bits left out, more indepth detail.. but it wasn't.

Posted

The film IS genius though. I've yet to read the book, but I'm planning on it, soon. Honest.

Like I've done any reading in a month.

Posted

I just think it worked much much better as a visual experience than a written one.. the way the multiple personalities are worked in the movie is fantastic, and when I read the book I was hoping it'd be your typical book>film with loads of bits left out, more indepth detail.. but it wasn't.

ah i see what you mean, i guess thats credit to the film really

Posted

The good...

Malcolm X - Spike Lee and Denzel Washington at their best I reckon.

The Motorcycle Diaries - Missed out some funny bits from the book but still an excellent movie.

The Tenth Man - The Anthony Hopkins version

A Christmas Carol - The Patrick Stewart version.

Oliver Twist - The Roman Polanski version.

The bad...

The Da Vinci Code - I thought the book was pretty good but not worthy of all the hype. The film was boring.

The Trial - An adaptation of The Trial by Kafka with the dude from Twin Peaks in it, this film sucked!

Posted

ah i see what you mean, i guess thats credit to the film really

the film is an awesome conversion! the book wasnt long enough for it to be missing loads.

jarhead was a totally different experiece film, girl friend story line was really important, book he had sex with too many hookers for it to be important! the book felt more honest. but the oil rain scene came over much better in the film!

Posted

clockers is a good book with a good film

Posted

Agreed with Dee Tee, about Da Vinci Code.The book was pretty good, but the film was dire.

Looking forward to The Rum Diary movie.

Posted

the best comic transfers

Sin City

V for Vendetta

Posted

The V for Vendetta movie had its moments, but overall I think it missed alot of the point of the comic tbh

That said it's all realtive and most comic to film transfers are shite!

Posted

Pete and Rose are on the money in this thread, Sin city just gets better everytime I see it, I'm still astounded that they kept it so close to the comics. I've just downloaded the recut version with all the bits they filmed but didnt use placed back into the film, it's great.

Clockers is ace, Richard Price is a great author. The only gripe I have with the movie is when the kids playing that shitty virtual reality game called gangsta, for some reason that little bit of made up game footage always takes me right out of the movie and it takes me a few minutes to get the feel of the movie back.

300 is great, even if some of the stuff that Snyder used to flesh out the movie could be seen to detract from some of the themes of the book.

I also enjoyed V, but then I have not read the comic to compare it to the movie.

Posted

Never Cry Wolf, both book and film are fucking superb. Top 10 film and top ten book of all time.

Posted

from hell by alan moore was pretty damn good. shame the film was utter cack.

Posted

Pete and Rose are on the money in this thread, Sin city just gets better everytime I see it, I'm still astounded that they kept it so close to the comics. I've just downloaded the recut version with all the bits they filmed but didnt use placed back into the film, it's great.

was there much difference? i heard that the claim on the box about there being loads more new footage was just hype and it was only a few minutes in the end.

but utterly utterly agree about it, pete if i can get it to burn onto DVDRs would you like the high def version i have? it'll play in your xbox fine. its from TV i think rather than a HDDVD/Blu-Ray (as I don't think its out anywhere), but its an excellent transfer and I'm sure wipes the floor with the DVD.

Posted

1984- I think the film with John Hurt is a faithful enough attempt.

That shit american version of 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley is a crime to humanity.

Posted

was there much difference? i heard that the claim on the box about there being loads more new footage was just hype and it was only a few minutes in the end.

It's not loads, there's barely anything new in The big fat kill, some new dialogue in Yellow bastard, but there is quite a few bits in The hard goodbye, like were Marv visits his mum.

After watching it a few times It's the fact that the stories are seperated that makes the difference. Watching each one seperate feels like watching the first 3 episodes of the coolest tv series ever, and the yellow bastard story just works better without the split. It makes the Josh Hartnett parts seem slightly irrelevant though.

Proper gutted that the sequal has been put on the backburner while Miller does The Spirit and Rodriguez remakes fucking Barbarella, Priorities gentlemen, please.

Posted

Constantine was a pretty decent attempt at comic to movie adaptation as was I thought Hellboy but there are alot of comic based movies that really do turn out to be a pile of poop.

Posted

Hellboy was really really good I thought. Constantine was an alright movie but as an adaptation it was pretty shocking.