Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Preamps for recording?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Heard a few people say that you dont really need them for recording with providing your using good quality mics etc. I know it can depend on your set up but I can defo see the benefit of having a preamp, am I wrong for thinking this?

Posted

A mic generally needs to be plugged into a preamp of some description whether it's part of a channel strip on a desk or a component of a sound card that you've got hooked up to your computer.

Are you thinking specifically of dedicated outboard preamps?

Posted

When i finally build my little recording rig, I'll buy a Focusrite Platinum Octopre, I used one last year in conjunction with a Motu 828 II and a fairly bland compressor that i wouldn't recommend but the results were pretty good, it was pretty quick to balance the levels and for the price range it sounded really good. I think the one i used had an ADAT connection which was fairly useful too, and it had other features like word clock etc. that i didnt have a use for.

Basicly i think the quality of recording will be a lot better if you use a decent preamp and it would be a necessity for me.

Posted

I just use the Soundcraft pre's on my desk at the moment and they're okay. Fairly neutral. Personally, I think I'd prefer to spend my money on decent mic's first and then look into getting better pre's as the necessity arrises. I've thought a couple of times that I could probably use something super clean with lots of headroom for my ribbons.

Posted

What mic's do you use jim? This is something i seriously have to look into in the near future and upgrade from the fairly standard stuff that i use currently.

Posted

[quote]What mic's do you use jim?

These, and I need a bunch more!

2 x Oktava ML52 (Factory matched)
2 x Beyer M201
AKG D112
Audio Technica Pro37R
" " AT2020 (not great but it only cost me £50)
A couple of pretty terrible, noisy omni's that I use as room mic's

Posted

bollocks I thought this was going to be about guitar pre-amps

benders

Posted

I apologise for killing this thread

Posted

You could talk about guitar pre-amps if you wanted, Pete. :D

Posted

I lust after a rack mounted Mesa V Twin, for no other reasons other than its made of chequer plate, is called 'V Twin' which is a motorcycle reference and its made by Mesa

Posted

blast from the past!

in the motu thread I queried about drum recording via the motu due to only having two preamped xlr inputs, I'm presuming the only way to record from more than 2 mic sources would be to add on a unit like the behringer ada8000.. 8 preamps over adat for about 150 quid which isn't too bad (and extends my live recordings up to a ridiculous amount of inputs). I read the preamps are pretty transparent.. would the combination of the motu and the behringer work pretty good together given I don't want to spend loads and its only for hobby stuff really (odd demo recording with borrowed mics and live stuff).

I'm looking to put the two units into a 3u warwick rockbag for easy transportation, given theres a unit spare is there anything else I should consider for the future that the macbook can't do (given I have pretty good sources for software and have things like guitar rig etc)

ta!

Posted

I've never been impressed with the Behringer stuff I've used, even for the price. Up to you though. I've never seen an ada8000. It could either be a total bargain or you could end up with eight wonky, temperamental, distorted preamps. Another option might the the more-affordable-end Focusrite stuff. Look up 'Octopre'. I've never used one personally although I know people who have them and they seem to be a safer bet.

As for the the other rack space - Dunno. A half decent limiter/compressor?

Posted

Ah the cost of that plus the ADAT card is twice the cost of the motu itself, can't justify it as it won't be used for lots n lots. I know our practise studio (Space) has an ADA8000 so I'll see how its going with them, he seemed happy the last time I asked as I'd thought of using one in another application. I know Behringer aren't the best choices but if I'm lucky to get one that works as it should then fingers crossed it'll do what I need it to :) Cheers!

Posted

remember that whatever your crappest link in the chain is will bottleneck your quality... you want a fairly balanced setup all round if you can get it.

that's not to say some parts are weighted more than others, they certainly are. but as a general rule, ^^^ applies.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0