#1 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts
  • Interests:L. Ron Hubbard

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Just watched this, an excellent end to the trilogy. Seems pretty obvious now that Terry Hobbs did it, although I said that about Mark Byers after Paradise Lost 2 came out. Having followed the case for over ten years, it was obviously good to see them out last year and I'm now looking forward to the Peter Jackson documentary. I also just found out the story is being made into a movie "The Devil's Knot" with Colin Firth as Ron Lax. Interesting.

#2 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Here's a trailer for the Peter Jackson documentary :

#3 Amusing Otter

Amusing Otter

Sapere Aude

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts
  • Interests:Killing cops and reading Kerouac.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Is there a place I stream all three?
There is no God and we are his prophets

#4 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Not sure. I have 1 and 2 on DVD if you want to see them. 3 was BT.

#5 Black By Day

Black By Day

Fuck NYC, bomb Yeovil!

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

Finally watched this on the weekend. Brilliant end to the series like you said.

It does point out how convincing/misleading documentaries can be though. Like you said, by the end of Revelations, we were all convinced that Byers was the killer. After Purgatory, we were all convinced that it was Terry Hobbs even though the evidence against him was just as circumstancial.

I remember reading back in August about the Alford plea when they were released and thinking it was the most retarted thing I'd ever heard. Watching it played out in the film just made it seem even more so.

I doubt the case will ever be solved, and the WM3 will have child murder on their criminal records forever. I hope I'm wrong and the private investigations (because the police consider the case closed) yield something concrete.
"Come one come all to a beautiful show! It's gonna be awesome and...some other stuff! Dee-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-doo-dee, some other musical stuff!"

#6 JayX

JayX

twitter.com/chadmuskehound

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,390 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

I just watched West of Memphis, the Peter Jackson produced one, should be easy enough to find online. I only ever got part of the way through the first Paradise Lost as something didn't sit right with me, but thought I'd give the new one a watch as beyond knowing they were freed I didn't know what had happened with the case in the meantime.

Even though this will be nothing new to those who've seen all 3, I'll spoiler stuff out so others can go in fresh and make up their own mind.

Spoiler

#7 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up, "finding" it now.

#8 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,390 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Please watch it and post, I'd like to hear your opinion. I might give the PL trilogy a shot from the beginning again now, it'd be interesting to see how they progress over the years.

#9 Black By Day

Black By Day

Fuck NYC, bomb Yeovil!

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

We watched it the other night. It's good but the glossy, Hollywood sheen and retrospective style meant it would never be as powerful as the PL trilogy which are far more gritty and obviously shot at the time of the events.

Also, I'm not entirely sure I see a point in West Of Memphis. The truly amazing thing about Paradise Lost is that it brought the horrendous injustice to the attention of the world, and ultimately helped free those three innocent men. What is WoM aiming to do exactly?
"Come one come all to a beautiful show! It's gonna be awesome and...some other stuff! Dee-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-doo-dee, some other musical stuff!"

#10 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,390 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

An opportunity for Jackson to make his money back I'd imagine!

#11 Black By Day

Black By Day

Fuck NYC, bomb Yeovil!

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Yeah, good luck with that, troll king. We didn't pay a penny.

#12 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,390 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Talk like that is going to end us up in jail for 18 years.

#13 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I thought it was good, and included some new stuff in it I wasn't aware of. I think the whole point of it is it's not just a TV documentary, but was (or is to be?) shown in cinemas across the world, which would possibly raise the profile of the case even higher, especially when I think it's now obvious Terry Hobbs did it. I think having your hair in the ligature of a knot used to tie the hands of a child is a bit more damning that Mark Byers being a bit of a nut job / attention seeker back in the days of Paradise Lost 1 + 2. Not to mention the 2 guys who were friends with Terry Hobbs' nephew being told it's the "Hobbs family secret", and passing lie detector test (not perfect I know, but you never know)... I thought it was a worthwhile watch anyway. And Damien Echols being producer was probably a way of him making a bit of money seeing as, you know, he's been in prison for 18 years. You're all just too cynical for my liking!

#14 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,390 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

If it was one of the WM3's hairs in the knot, I'd agree... but when it's the shoelace belonging to a friend of the son of the suspect? They would've come into contact so many times it's insane, there's no way someone could be rightfully convicted based on that alone. Yes, I thought it was a worthwhile watch but it didn't need to be so heavy handed with the finger pointing against someone they really don't have a whole lot to go by, other than the aforementioned hair and some grinning teens who overheard someone who overheard someone else. Not that I don't think Hobbs is a suspect, the dude is garbage and I wouldn't put it past him to commit the crime.

Echols can't profit from the movie due to son of sam laws, officially anyway.

#15 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm sure Hobbit man has probably slipped him a few envelopes full of cash from time to time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users