84 replies to this topic

#1 Kate G

Kate G

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

My Corsa (2003) has packed in (head gasket) and I don't think it's worth paying for the repair since a few things had been going wrong with the car previous to it popping its clogs.

So, I'm in the market for another car, but am not really sure where to start. I guess budget would be the first port of call - I'm going to have to get a loan, and rates are better the more you borrow (obv). I don't want to borrow for the sake of it BUT am willing to pay more for a car that lasts longer - I can't be arsed to get on the 'banger' cycle.

I guess what I'm after is some sort of guideline to the balance point between value for money/reliability and cost.

What sort of mileage for a car from say, 2005 onwards is 'acceptable'? At what sort of mileage/age do things start going wrong?

Am not particularly fussed about style; I'm used to driving small cars so would probably go for one again. Cars I like: Corsas, Golfs, Polos, C2s etc.
Please be kind if I'm a mess.

#2 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,865 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

2003 and it's packed in?? fook.

get a VW Golf. my 1997's going fine after 7 years of owning). before that I had a 1984 one and that went fine for 7 years (till 2001 when I sold it)

#3 Garth Marenghi

Garth Marenghi

• Working Class
  • PipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

It's definitely worth thinking about a Ford Focus. I've had 2 in the past and they can't be beaten for price, reliability and cheap parts if something does go wrong.

#4 Black By Day

Black By Day

Fuck NYC, bomb Yeovil!

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,362 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

My Corsa (2003) has packed in (head gasket) and I don't think it's worth paying for the repair since a few things had been going wrong with the car previous to it popping its clogs.

So, I'm in the market for another car, but am not really sure where to start. I guess budget would be the first port of call - I'm going to have to get a loan, and rates are better the more you borrow (obv). I don't want to borrow for the sake of it BUT am willing to pay more for a car that lasts longer - I can't be arsed to get on the 'banger' cycle.

I guess what I'm after is some sort of guideline to the balance point between value for money/reliability and cost.

What sort of mileage for a car from say, 2005 onwards is 'acceptable'? At what sort of mileage/age do things start going wrong?
Am not particularly fussed about style; I'm used to driving small cars so would probably go for one again. Cars I like: Corsas, Golfs, Polos, C2s etc.

It's really not that simple. When I bought my Astra there were already 130,000 miles on the clock, and I've put a further 80k on there myself in the last 6 years, and it's still going fine.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had a younger Lupo with 60k on the clock that just kerploded and is now in a scrap yard somewhere.

It's pot luck, but you can lower the risk by doing what Rockwell says and get a Golf which are renowned for being reliable.
"Come one come all to a beautiful show! It's gonna be awesome and...some other stuff! Dee-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-doo-dee, some other musical stuff!"

#5 chi

chi

Opposite Octave Reaction

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,302 posts
  • Interests:none that i know of.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

http://www.ebay.co.u...4#ht_500wt_1156
Spider Kitten Gigs:
12th - 15th March 2015 @ Hammerfest, w/ Orange Goblin, Candlemass

New album :
"Behold Mountain, Hail Sea, Venerate Sky, Bow Before Tree"
out Oct 27th via Undergroove.

Spider Kitten Facebook Kitten Kast # 219
all Spider Kitten music is free. Click HERE to visit our download page.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

#6 Andi

Andi

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

You may pay a little more for a Golf than you would another car of equivalent size, age, mileage etc, but they also tend to hold their value better than other cars.
So much for the 10 year plan
I just wanna get drunk and headbang
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Kate G

Kate G

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...4#ht_500wt_1156

Well, at least I'd win this thread:

http://www.southwale...showtopic=78906

#8 Hywel

Hywel

lol

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

It's really not that simple. When I bought my Astra there were already 130,000 miles on the clock, and I've put a further 80k on there myself in the last 6 years, and it's still going fine.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had a younger Lupo with 60k on the clock that just kerploded and is now in a scrap yard somewhere.

It's pot luck, but you can lower the risk by doing what Rockwell says and get a Golf which are renowned for being reliable.

Yup, I'd rather buy a 10 year old car with 130,000 miles with a stack of service + mot history than a 30,000 mile car with no history, very worn tyres and stinky air filter etc. The car itself and the state of it's consumables will give you clues about how it's been treated, and how likely it is to be in good mechanical condish.

#9 Black By Day

Black By Day

Fuck NYC, bomb Yeovil!

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,362 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Yup, I'd rather buy a 10 year old car with 130,000 miles with a stack of service + mot history than a 30,000 mile car with no history, very worn tyres and stinky air filter etc. The car itself and the state of it's consumables will give you clues about how it's been treated, and how likely it is to be in good mechanical condish.

And obviously miles can be deceptive. The vast vast majority of the 130,000 mine accumilated in its first 3 years of existence were motorway miles and essentially counted for fuck all, whereas the Lupo my friend had that died had spent 3 years driving exclusively around a city which is far more demanding on the parts of the car.

Mileage isn't the be all and end all is the point, Miss Gatt.
"Come one come all to a beautiful show! It's gonna be awesome and...some other stuff! Dee-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-doo-dee, some other musical stuff!"

#10 Kate G

Kate G

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll probably rope my brother in to look at potential cars since he has a fair amount of mechanical experience.

I am very interested in a Golf but I need to decide on my budget I think.

#11 Kate G

Kate G

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

And obviously miles can be deceptive. The vast vast majority of the 130,000 mine accumilated in its first 3 years of existence were motorway miles and essentially counted for fuck all, whereas the Lupo my friend had that died had spent 3 years driving exclusively around a city which is far more demanding on the parts of the car.

Mileage isn't the be all and end all is the point, Miss Gatt.

Ok. I knew it wasn't as simple that, that's why I started the thread ;)

#12 UITA

UITA

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

If you fancy a day out get down to the auctions in Newport (seized cars), many a bargain to be had. Yes buying blind but just as much of a guarantee as buying from anyone else....I would imagine.

http://www.newportau...ck.aspx?aType=3

Edited by UITA, 30 August 2011 - 01:07 PM.

"Correct the wise man and he will thank you. Correct the fool and he will attack you."
www.thelongtenon.com

#13 Haggie Rand

Haggie Rand

Ivan Dobsky never dunnit

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hi Kate. Lots of vagueness here so I'll cut straight to the chase.

You need a 2005 Ford Fiesta with under 30,000 miles on the clock, with a FSH and a new MOT. In black obviously because black Fords are always win. You will have the choice of diesel or petrol. Diesel is more economical but sounds like shit so fuck that shit. Also you need 3 doors because you are not a "soccer mom" and the car is for you and not for you to chauffeur friends about.

Here's one. As you can see, IZ NIIIZE.

Posted Image
Drugs come out of boredom, babe.
UN exports it everyday.
Their armies feed the ghetto lame.
Government approve it just the same.

#14 Kate G

Kate G

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

Edited for idiocy.

Edited by Kate G, 01 September 2011 - 03:22 PM.

#15 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,044 posts
  • Interests:L. Ron Hubbard

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Rae passed her test today, first time with 4 minors - seems pretty good to me! Anyway, we're going to go halves on a car, most likely a KA as they seem efficient and cheap? And I can't drive so I don't care about the "it's a girls car" thing. Looking at a grand, I'll throw in more if necessary - what's a reasonable mileage to be looking at? I have no idea about these things. I just know I got a lift to the beer shop and skate park now.

#16 *Lucy

*Lucy

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

Don't get a KA, they're fucking awful. They fall apart and go rusty so quickly, and you'll find the value drops through the floor as soon as you touch it. Also, enterprising students will find it quite easy to pick up and move to hilarious places.

EDIT: Congrats to Rae!

Edited by *Lucy, 01 September 2011 - 03:01 PM.

#17 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,044 posts
  • Interests:L. Ron Hubbard

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

Interesting - could I get a list of other suggestions from folks?

#18 Cardiff Gentleman

Cardiff Gentleman

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts
  • Interests:Porco Dio

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

My KA has never given me any problems.
ANTI -CRASS

#19 chi

chi

Opposite Octave Reaction

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,302 posts
  • Interests:none that i know of.

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

get a van. everyone needs a van
Spider Kitten Gigs:
12th - 15th March 2015 @ Hammerfest, w/ Orange Goblin, Candlemass

New album :
"Behold Mountain, Hail Sea, Venerate Sky, Bow Before Tree"
out Oct 27th via Undergroove.

Spider Kitten Facebook Kitten Kast # 219
all Spider Kitten music is free. Click HERE to visit our download page.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

#20 rae

rae

numpty

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

My KA has never given me any problems.

My auntie and friend in work has never had any problems with theirs. My aunties did get properly squashed in the end though. Complete write off. I have read that they are prone to rusting, but isn't that the same for a few others? Not wanting to hijack the thread but when buying a car what sort of things should I look out for? I don't want to get scammed. Others I was thinking of is maybe a Fiesta or Corsa (which I learnt in).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users