41 replies to this topic

#1 Kate G

Kate G

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,428 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

What are the worst/stupidest/most useless things you've bought on a whim?

First thing that springs to mind is my first bass preamp. It was ridiculously complicated and I had no idea how to work it. Together with the power amp it weighed a fucking tonne (I couldn't even lift it, let alone carry it around) and poor Tom had to lug it around on tour. I sold it as soon as I got back and bought a really simple and basic/decent sounding Trace, which will sound even better as soon as I get a Sansamp on it.

That's what happens when you get sucked into bass forums...

Edited by Kate G, 18 August 2011 - 10:06 AM.

Please be kind if I'm a mess.

#2 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,865 posts
  • Interests:L. Ron Hubbard

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

A fucking photocopier with my student loan. Entire loan gone, photocopier breaks down. Awesome.

#3 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

very close.

i have a £350 Sp212 (£550 odd new), 600w bass cab, purely cos it look pretty in my lounge. my Barefaced cab still beats it usage wise. both of em together make nice and i got a deal... but fact is tho it's an expensive piece of furniture, especially when my sofa's totally shite and needs replacing!

I wish i'd never got the cunting (ENGINEERED!!) wood floor too. but that was just bad luck. tried bastard hard numerous times and it's still bouncy in parts. gutted.

Edited by Chest Rockwell, 18 August 2011 - 10:15 AM.

#4 chi

chi

Opposite Octave Reaction

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts
  • Interests:none that i know of.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

hats. when i had dreads i could never get hats that fitted and when i cut them off i went a bit mad and bought loads. about half of them are too small or just a bit rubbish, but i love them so. hats ftw.
Spider Kitten Gigs:

9th Aug @ The Moon, Cardiff, Loserpalooza IV
4th Sept @ The Fleece, Bristol w/ Yob, Pallbearer

Spider Kitten Facebook Kitten Kast # 216
all Spider Kitten music is free. Click HERE to visit our download page.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

#5 Grandad Falls

Grandad Falls

Fletch Lives

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

A Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board/Case with 6 Boss pedals. Kerry was working for Roland at the time so I got it all for half price the day before a tour. It looked ridiculous (like a boogie board) and I have since sold it and all bar one of the pedals.
The worst thing was that I'd actually seen someone with one the night before said tour and thought; "That looks well daft, I'll tell the wife that I no longer want one." Only to come home to the full hit sat on my setee.

To be fair though if Roland hadn't proved themselves to be a complete shower of douchbags I'd probably still have it.
I don't care who your friends are. I always thought you were an asshole.

#6 Grandad Falls

Grandad Falls

Fletch Lives

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

Oh yeah and that rackmounted set up of Kate's was ridonkulously heavy.

#7 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

also Boss Super Phaser. 'yeah go on then 70'... pointless toy for my purposes :(

#8 Kate G

Kate G

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,428 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

hats. when i had dreads i could never get hats that fitted and when i cut them off i went a bit mad and bought loads. about half of them are too small or just a bit rubbish, but i love them so. hats ftw.

Lol.

To my list, I'd also like to add a cheap mandolin that I got off eBay. It's shit, can't even do Losing My Religion on it.
Please be kind if I'm a mess.

#9 cjm

cjm

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

a 1996 citroen AX diesel for 450.

the lady selling it was very attractive, and had a son who was blind. I remember thinking at the time that there was no way she'd knowingly sell on a dud.

how wrong I was; within 4 days the head gasket blew - at 70 on the M4 just past high cross.

the coolant warning light had come on during the test drive but she assured me that it was diagnosed as a faulty sensor by her local garage.

a week later we towed it to that auction place by rover way steelworks. they gave me 150 for it, which I was quite chuffed about. lesson learned!

#10 Black By Day

Black By Day

Fuck NYC, bomb Yeovil!

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

A Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board/Case with 6 Boss pedals. Kerry was working for Roland at the time so I got it all for half price the day before a tour. It looked ridiculous (like a boogie board) and I have since sold it and all bar one of the pedals.
The worst thing was that I'd actually seen someone with one the night before said tour and thought; "That looks well daft, I'll tell the wife that I no longer want one." Only to come home to the full hit sat on my setee.

To be fair though if Roland hadn't proved themselves to be a complete shower of douchbags I'd probably still have it.

If you paid half price for it though, surely you made a few bucks selling it on? Sounds more like a canny purchase than a stupid one.

Pedal boards are well bent though, you're right.
"Come one come all to a beautiful show! It's gonna be awesome and...some other stuff! Dee-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-dee-doo-dee-dee-doo-dee, some other musical stuff!"

#11 skutch

skutch

• Working Class
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

A house in Tremorfa.
I don't really need to elaborate do I?

#12 Andi

Andi

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

A house in Tremorfa.

Good call! My house is definitely mine. Although I like owning a house, it pains me that everytime I look on the land registry it shows that the most expensive house ever bought on my street, in the history of the world, was mine...by me. It's dropped in value by at least 10k and now I know that my neighbours are a festival of arseholes I want to move somewhere else.
So much for the 10 year plan
I just wanna get drunk and headbang
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Cardiff Gentleman

Cardiff Gentleman

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts
  • Interests:Porco Dio

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hats are great apart from one thing, people think it's OK to invade your personnal space and knock them off your head, try them on, throw them around or in one case said 'you're not a Jew are you ?'
ANTI -CRASS

#14 chi

chi

Opposite Octave Reaction

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts
  • Interests:none that i know of.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hats are great apart from one thing, people think it's OK to invade your personnal space and knock them off your head, try them on, throw them around or in one case said 'you're not a Jew are you ?'

i get a lot of this. same with glasses. "lemme try your glasses on" "no, fuck you, i need them to see"
Spider Kitten Gigs:

9th Aug @ The Moon, Cardiff, Loserpalooza IV
4th Sept @ The Fleece, Bristol w/ Yob, Pallbearer

Spider Kitten Facebook Kitten Kast # 216
all Spider Kitten music is free. Click HERE to visit our download page.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

#15 skutch

skutch

• Working Class
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

Good call! My house is definitely mine. Although I like owning a house, it pains me that everytime I look on the land registry it shows that the most expensive house ever bought on my street, in the history of the world, was mine...by me. It's dropped in value by at least 10k and now I know that my neighbours are a festival of arseholes I want to move somewhere else.

I feel your pain. I can't even bring myself to look at that stuff anymore, it's just painful. Most annoyingly I had to remortgage at the weekend as my fixed term was at an end and do you think they'd value the property based on actual worth? Would they fuck. Despite one largish extension and a loft conversion aswell as new double glazing this week and a brand new bathroom they still went with the "average" value of shitty houses on my shitty street. Hence an inaccurate LTV and a higher repayment amount than is realistic. But it's best I don't get started on mortgages...

#16 Andi

Andi

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

i get a lot of this. same with glasses. "lemme try your glasses on" "no, fuck you, i need them to see"

Here's a photo of me wearing Richie's hat and glasses.
Posted Image
So much for the 10 year plan
I just wanna get drunk and headbang
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

A house in Tremorfa.

that's what I call house guttering.

#18 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

I feel your pain. I can't even bring myself to look at that stuff anymore, it's just painful. Most annoyingly I had to remortgage at the weekend as my fixed term was at an end and do you think they'd value the property based on actual worth? Would they fuck. Despite one largish extension and a loft conversion aswell as new double glazing this week and a brand new bathroom they still went with the "average" value of shitty houses on my shitty street. Hence an inaccurate LTV and a higher repayment amount than is realistic. But it's best I don't get started on mortgages...

however, were the windows good/cheap/tidy work etc? i need two windows done. one desperately cos it's been broke since i moved in 4 years ago.

#19 skutch

skutch

• Working Class
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

however, were the windows good/cheap/tidy work etc? i need two windows done. one desperately cos it's been broke since i moved in 4 years ago.

Yeah, the windows look pretty solid actually. They have only been in a few hours but I can recommend Capital UPVC for a quick, tidy and pretty well priced job. Shop around though, I'm not responsible if there's better out there :)

#20 Grandad Falls

Grandad Falls

Fletch Lives

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

I sold it all for pretty much what I paid for it.

I like a pedal board, just not that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users