115 replies to this topic

#21 JayX

JayX

twitter.com/chadmuskehound

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,303 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Yeah, turns out in 2009 I was eating too much fruit ;)

No, like most people that try things sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I made it clear then that if it fell apart, I knew exactly what I was doing so I could change it. A 40p/40c/20f wasn't working for me after an amount of time, I was missing too many food items and the curse that is alcohol came into play too much.

I never returned to the weight I was when I started in 2009, unlike a lot of people who then go even higher. This has been the easiest dietary change out of all of them, and for me the most effective. It might not be for you, fantastic - don't do it, it's not for everyone and at no point have I even suggested that someone else goes on this. I wouldn't, I would tell them to read into it at most.

If you come here just to criticise something you have zero knowledge about, and just want to repeaet out of date mantras that have very little truth to them... it's not going to make a difference to what I do. You enjoy your fruit, I'll enjoy my meat and together we can both enjoy what we eat.

I'm not making wild assumptions at all. I'm just stating that having a big lump of protein within an hour of waking up is the best way to set your metabolism for the whole day. That's just a hard, hot and throbbing scientific fact.

That wasn't your assumption, and naturally I agree with you based on my own breakfasts. Your assumption was that everyone has a protein heavy start to the day.

#22 rae

rae

numpty

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

It sounds quite similar to the 'Red' days they have in the Slimming World plan. I don't remember the exact workings of it but it seemed to involve a fair bit of meat and protein. If it's working for you now, then fine but you might need to tweak it slightly after a while.

Edit: On the Dave's gym blog a while ago they posted something about the Paeleolithic Diet here (the blog in general is pretty interesting, they have some good recipes on there too, if you need some inspiration):-

http://davesgymblog....version-20.html

Edited by rae, 05 April 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#23 topheavy

topheavy

suck em and see!!!!

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:Cock!!!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Nice work on the loss Connors, epic start, use it as motivation to keep it up.

for me it's about balance and not falling back into past practices, i eat allot less meat than i use to, allot more fruit and as much veg as i can and halfed my drinking (oh and on sunday it's 100 days since i quit smoking :cool: ) the killer as some have mentioned is bread, but i eat wholemeal and try not to go over 2 slices a day.

Basically make sure you're eating abit of everything on a regular basis as your body NEEDS it, work the plan around your tastes (as you have), just make sure you are gettin what your body needs. and dont beat yourself up if you have bad days, we all do, just stick at it. As people have said it's a lifestyle change that will get you to where you want to be, not a few months crash dieting/exercising (which i have been guilty of in the past)

Oh and exercise, but i'm sure there's a whole other thread for that somewhere!

Good job and good luck!

#24 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,838 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

fruit isnt delicious. unless it's an apple. bananas are well fucking boring!

I'd rather have a chocolate zinger burger for breakfast, but unfortunately it's bad for me :(

but when I pig out on a kebab i know it's okay ;)

#25 PeteStaunch

PeteStaunch

staunch

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Also, bananas are herbs.

#26 Andi

Andi

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Also, bananas are herbs.

Explain the fuck out of that for me.
So much for the 10 year plan
I just wanna get drunk and headbang
Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,303 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Edit: On the Dave's gym blog a while ago they posted something about the Paeleolithic Diet here (the blog in general is pretty interesting, they have some good recipes on there too, if you need some inspiration)

Yeah, Paleo and Low Carb are pretty similar. Paleo is more based around 'eating like ancestors' and doesn't count the carbs, but due to the foods they eat is generally low carb anyway. Their stance on fruit is pretty similar - eat the right ones and not too much.

Here's a pretty good run down of Paleo, it's an easy read and covers most of what this kind of diet is about. There's even a FAQ at the end if anyone wants to be lazy and skip straight to that - http://nerdheaven.dk...paleo_intro.php

Nice work on the loss Connors, epic start, use it as motivation to keep it up.

Cheers man. Won't be crash dieting as everything I've left behind I can truly live without. If I lose the plot and pig out on a Dominos or something in 2 months, as long as I can mentally keep my head in the game it won't do any long term damage.

but when I pig out on a kebab i know it's okay ;)

I've not had a kebab yet, but I may 'treat' myself to one at some point. Everything inside the pitta is fine, then just throw the bread out after I'm done. That's always the worst part anyway!

#28 Amusing Otter

Amusing Otter

Sapere Aude

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts
  • Interests:Killing cops and reading Kerouac.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

Jay - you're being deliberately obtuse on this issue. Nobody is saying have an apple for breakfast, obviously you're going to need protein within the first hour of waking up to ensure your metabolism burns quickly

That wasn't your assumption, and naturally I agree with you based on my own breakfasts. Your assumption was that everyone has a protein heavy start to the day.

No it wasn't.
There is no God and we are his prophets

#29 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,303 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

To me that reads that it's obvious having apples for breakfast is bad and that protein is good. To me it's obvious, to you it's obvious... not to everyone. Therefore 'obvious' isn't the best choice of words. Anyway, semantics. If that's not what you meant, it doesn't matter.

#30 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts
  • Interests:L. Ron Hubbard

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

I'm rather more dense than I look.

Fair play Mafoota, you are dense as fuck :P

Thread delivers, would digest again.

#31 Amusing Otter

Amusing Otter

Sapere Aude

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts
  • Interests:Killing cops and reading Kerouac.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

To me that reads that it's obvious having apples for breakfast is bad and that protein is good. To me it's obvious, to you it's obvious... not to everyone. Therefore 'obvious' isn't the best choice of words. Anyway, semantics. If that's not what you meant, it doesn't matter.

No, Jay. It's fucking obvious that in order to ensure your metabolism burns quickly you need to eat some protein within the first hour of waking, which you are doing, so it must be obvious to you! As you are the person that post was aimed at I couldn't give a toss what is obvious to anyone else.
There is no God and we are his prophets

#32 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,303 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

I'm just going to post this again, but bigger.

If that's not what you meant, it doesn't matter.

#33 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,303 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

Today the fish are quaking in fear as the menu is Salmon, Salmon and Anchovies. I'm going to grow gills in my sleep.

#34 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,303 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

Things still moving in the right direction, wasn't tempted by eggs (other than fried, poached and scrambled) over Easter and the freezer is packed with meat as ever.

Added training with Luke into the mix, last week comprised of:

Bodyweight Squats + small amount of extra weight 2x12, 1x15
Lunges + same 3x20
Shoulder Press 3x20
Lateral Raises 3x20
Supported Prone Flies 2x15
Supported Press Ups 1x15, 1x10, 1x12
Plank 2x15, 1x5
Leg Raises 3x15

And didn't have weekend recovery anywhere near as bad as the week before, good stuff.

#35 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

You making it to Dave's Gym for training with Luke? This seems to be a major step forward for you, well done. I've been pretty much out of action for 3 weeks due mainly to my left shoulder fucking killing me and popping out of the socket when I do random things like put a t-shirt on. Been trying to get an appointment with the doctor's today, but obvs this is the pathetic NHS and the phone has been engaged since 8am. Ridiculous. So still not sure what's wrong. If it was totally dislocated I'd be fucked, so I don't think it is. Made it to the gym Sunday after 11 days off work, going to London, booze and lots of food but only cross trainer stuff to maintain my lower weight, as any weights will literally destroy my arm forever. May go today but first day back at work, it's pretty brutal.

#36 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,303 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

At the moment, we're just doing it in my lounge as it's mainly bodyweight stuff (and light dumbells) so don't need anything the gym offers yet. Saves some cash! I might do a 6 month shot at the one around the corner when we get to the stage where I can move on to the barbells etc. I might try and snag one of their 2 day passes, just to see if I'm capable of putting any weight on my back for the squats without passing out completely! My legs are naturally a lot better than my arms because they're used to shifting around weight, so would be interesting to see if I don't do too dismally at that.

NHS sucks for getting appointments, boy do I know that! And then the GPs are next to useless anyway and just refer you out. Hope you get your arm sorted, sounds horrible.

#37 chi

chi

Opposite Octave Reaction

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts
  • Interests:none that i know of.

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

my GP's surgery is great. i've never had a problem getting an appointment for the next day and the 2 lady doctors are very helpful and know their shit
http://www.wales.nhs...e.cfm?OrgID=681
Spider Kitten Gigs:

9th Aug @ The Moon, Cardiff, Loserpalooza IV
4th Sept @ The Fleece, Bristol w/ Yob, Pallbearer

Spider Kitten Facebook Kitten Kast # 216
all Spider Kitten music is free. Click HERE to visit our download page.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

#38 Ally Needy

Ally Needy

Pink Shellsuit Fanatic

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Yeah... I'd rather have my arm amputated than have to go to St Mellons.

;)

#39 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,838 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

just wanna say, bit belatedly, that Jay's method is def working since seeing you (Jay) the other day you've noticeably lost weight since a while agao when I saw you (that do at that pub in cathays). nice work.

#40 JayX

JayX

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,303 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

Yeah... I'd rather have my arm amputated than have to go to St Mellons.

;)

My GP is in Grangetown, and the door in the surgery itself is boarded up... presumably to stop people trying to break in and steal prescription pads. Staff are pleasant enough at least.

just wanna say, bit belatedly, that Jay's method is def working since seeing you (Jay) the other day you've noticeably lost weight since a while agao when I saw you (that do at that pub in cathays). nice work.

Cheers man, appreciated. That pub night was bloody heavy work, don't remember how that one ended...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users