Photo

So then, back into tech support with a bump.

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#61 Mr.Slips

Mr.Slips

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

I can vouch for Jay seeing as I work in the same office as him and pretty much do the same job. Although I joined the company in 2001 so my salary isn't quite as piss poor as Jays. But piss poor none the less. I work overtime almost every Saturday just to keep financially afloat and to keep on top of my work.

But come April i'll be moving to a different section altogether so no more fucking customer contact or claims. \m/
For the great blue cold now reigns

#62 holdfast

holdfast

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

Jay really should be doing some kind of fruity media job by now.

#63 Haggie Rand

Haggie Rand

Ivan Dobsky never dunnit

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

sean, whats the kind of wage you'll get in c-town for tech support atm? I do 9-6 (40hr wk) for 15k of hard work, tech support might drain my life but it can't be a worse deal.

I see £17k - £22k jobs now and again but that's real fucking generous for South Wales for first/second line support. Most are call centre based, not in the city centre, and offer a starting salary of £13,000 or so.
Drugs come out of boredom, babe.
UN exports it everyday.
Their armies feed the ghetto lame.
Government approve it just the same.

#64 UITA

UITA

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:57 AM

Resonable wage but what hourage do you have to put in for it?
"Correct the wise man and he will thank you. Correct the fool and he will attack you."
www.thelongtenon.com

#65 nickyroberts

nickyroberts

i am not nicky from gunrack

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

Cris, mainly depends on how far you want to travel. I can submit your CV for Fujitsu Newport if you want to? Thats just off J28 of the M4.

#66 nickyroberts

nickyroberts

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:31 AM

Description of Project:

The NTL desk at Newport, Gwent delivers impeccable services to major ISP clients Virgin Net, Tesco Net, NTL and Which? Online. This is predominantly technical support desk and operates from 08:00 to 22:30 seven days per week, 365 days per year.

Job Purpose and Accountabilities:

Takes personal ownership of issues and problems and proactively monitors and widens own area of responsibility as necessary to get the job done, whilst identifying areas for improvement.
Utilises excellent communication skills and actively encourages information flow to solve customerís problems, where possible on a first time fix basis, in line with business needs.
Ensures a positive customer experience by simplifying and explaining in a sensitive and empathetic manner what has happened, how it is resolved and how to prevent recurrence.
Resolves customer issues by implementing resolutions obtained via evaluating relevant options in order to find the best customer and business solution
Communicates effectively by ensuring that tone, volume, pace and language are appropriate to the target audience, whilst avoiding jargon and clarifying understanding.
Proactively utilises available resources to seek and maintain a varied and up to date range of technical knowledge, whilst is able to apply this effectively across a range client customers.
Covers basic requirements by accurately recording all customer contact via required media, adhering to set processes and procedures, such as: health & safety, time management and ICSTIS regulations.
Maintain an in depth knowledge of all clients, their service levels, the features and benefits of their products and act as a reference point for customers and colleagues.
Demonstrates an understanding of how to correctly balance the needs and relationships of client, customer and ntl to ensure optimum outcome for all parties.
Attend regular team meetings and briefings to improve operational effectiveness. Share ideas for improvement and respond to continuous change to improve customer service.
Comply with client service level agreements and adopt new work practices when changes are made.
Take on additional agent responsibilities to accommodate ongoing changes in contact centre objectives and standards.

Skills - Mandatory:

A level or equivalent education PC & Microsoft Skills
Can do attitude Ability to work under pressure
Excellent telephone manner
Customer Facing Experience

thats the scoop if you or anyone is interested, PM me and i`ll send you an email address to send them to.

#67 Greek Features

Greek Features

At Least 80% Female

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

Cheers Nicky, but the thing is I'm moving to Manchester come September. Reckon I'll have a better chance of getting something in Tech Support up there if I have some temporary experience? Or will I just look fickle?
Where Is My Mentor?
xCi Vs. the Poetry Blog

QUOTE(PeteStaunch @ Oct 9 2008, 03:11 PM) View Post
The photo of the arse sent me right off the deep end.

#68 Haggie Rand

Haggie Rand

Ivan Dobsky never dunnit

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

Manchester ain't bad for tech support roles. Send me your CV, yo.
UN exports it everyday.

#69 nickyroberts

nickyroberts

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

likewise Cris, i think we have a couple of offices in Manchester and vacancies come up all the time.

#70 holdfast

holdfast

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

Yea cris i know some good houses you could live in, we can sort out your whole new life on here for you. (serious about the houses though)

#71 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

nick-y. what is your IT environment like? you're 3rd line? what kindof stuff do you do, out of interest?

#72 nickyroberts

nickyroberts

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

I'm between jobs at the moment, waiting for a replacement for me to move to my new team.

Current Job (Wintel based)

UNIX backups using TSM, EDM and Omniback.
Remote user support
Server diagnostics (90% Windows 2000, the occasional W2003 and few Unix servers)
Security patching
Changing printing system from LPT based system to IP printing using Novell IPrint.
Local office server problems.
Print servers
etc etc.

Next job is as an AIX Technician, so mainly unix based stuff, backups, server diagnostics etc

#73 chi

chi

Opposite Octave Reaction

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts
  • Interests:none that i know of.

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

Description of Project:

The NTL desk at Newport, Gwent delivers impeccable services to major ISP clients Virgin Net, Tesco Net, NTL and Which? Online. This is predominantly technical support desk and operates from 08:00 to 22:30 seven days per week, 365 days per year.

Job Purpose and Accountabilities:

Takes personal ownership of issues and problems and proactively monitors and widens own area of responsibility as necessary to get the job done, whilst identifying areas for improvement.
Utilises excellent communication skills and actively encourages information flow to solve customerís problems, where possible on a first time fix basis, in line with business needs.
Ensures a positive customer experience by simplifying and explaining in a sensitive and empathetic manner what has happened, how it is resolved and how to prevent recurrence.
Resolves customer issues by implementing resolutions obtained via evaluating relevant options in order to find the best customer and business solution
Communicates effectively by ensuring that tone, volume, pace and language are appropriate to the target audience, whilst avoiding jargon and clarifying understanding.
Proactively utilises available resources to seek and maintain a varied and up to date range of technical knowledge, whilst is able to apply this effectively across a range client customers.
Covers basic requirements by accurately recording all customer contact via required media, adhering to set processes and procedures, such as: health & safety, time management and ICSTIS regulations.
Maintain an in depth knowledge of all clients, their service levels, the features and benefits of their products and act as a reference point for customers and colleagues.
Demonstrates an understanding of how to correctly balance the needs and relationships of client, customer and ntl to ensure optimum outcome for all parties.
Attend regular team meetings and briefings to improve operational effectiveness. Share ideas for improvement and respond to continuous change to improve customer service.
Comply with client service level agreements and adopt new work practices when changes are made.
Take on additional agent responsibilities to accommodate ongoing changes in contact centre objectives and standards.
Skills - Mandatory:

A level or equivalent education PC & Microsoft Skills
Can do attitude Ability to work under pressure
Excellent telephone manner
Customer Facing Experience
thats the scoop if you or anyone is interested, PM me and i`ll send you an email address to send them to.

i did this job back in 1999. it was all dial up then. used to get £13k but shitty hours. not a bad job tho all things considered.

Spider Kitten Gigs:

1st Nov 2014 @ The Crobar, London *Album Launch Show*
12th March 2015 @ Hammerfest, w/ Orange Goblin, Candlemass

New album :
"Behold Mountain, Hail Sea, Venerate Sky, Bow Before Tree"
out Oct 27th via Undergroove.

Spider Kitten Facebook Kitten Kast # 219
all Spider Kitten music is free. Click HERE to visit our download page.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

#74 Haggie Rand

Haggie Rand

Ivan Dobsky never dunnit

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

i did this job back in 1999. it was all dial up then. used to get £13k but shitty hours. not a bad job tho all things considered.

Same here. Cleppa Park Massive in the house.
UN exports it everyday.

#75 chi

chi

Opposite Octave Reaction

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

Same here. Cleppa Park Massive in the house.

haha Online House crew.

were u there when i was there then? i mostly did late shifts.

Spider Kitten Gigs:

New album :

#76 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Advanced Member

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

nick, if you know of any project leader/mgr/testing 3rd line untouchable jobs, drop me a line, i'll buy you a fiver :cool:

#77 Haggie Rand

Haggie Rand

Ivan Dobsky never dunnit

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

haha Online House crew.

were u there when i was there then? i mostly did late shifts.

I got recruited just before the NTLWORLD launch and pink disc debacle which would have been Jan/Feb 2000.

I did 18 months on the phones and then turned up to work one day with a thousand yard state and some line manager I didn't even know came up to me and said "We've been watching you. You're now ready" and took me off the phones and into the AUP Team. Which was just as well as I was about to snap.
UN exports it everyday.

#78 Haggie Rand

Haggie Rand

Ivan Dobsky never dunnit

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

Actually I really liked it despite the piss poor pay.

- I got to turn up to work in Assuck, Canaan, and Eyehategod t-shirts (though the latter sparked a complaint)
- We had a guitar swap shop where various bass guitars and combo amps were traded
- My girlfriend got a job there and turned up to the induction in a Star Wars t-shirt (queue 19 spotty nerds in the same induction all declaring that Star Wars is their favourite film ever)
- Our whole department was named after a Rik Mayall character (Colin Grigson was our alias on all AUP communication)
- I had a Ford Fiesta XR2 with a K&N Air Filter and would fly down the A48 at 6.45am to get to work, until PC Plod and his speedgun put a stop to that.
- Murphys big brother worked there.
- Some metal dude in the bay next to me was trying to chat up some goth girl and made the mistake of letting me overhear him saying "Yah, you need the first Metallica album - the black album". I tried to resist butting in, but I had to rip on him for Cliff's sake.
- There was a scandal when a manager left her PC unlocked and some of my colleagues set up mail forwarding on it (so they could see sensitive emails) which made it into The Sun.
- Our team was split between Cardiff and Swansea offices, and when Swansea visited us a vegan girl in the team would bring me vegan sandwiches.

I only left because the money wasn't going to improve, some dopey bird that started 8 months later than us got promoted despite knowing fuck all (communicating quite efficiently the standard issue "management are clueless" message to the rest of us), and I was itching to move to London.
UN exports it everyday.

#79 Andi

Andi

Advanced Member

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

I worked there too, for one day. Well actually I did the training in Swansea, but the day they put us on the phones in Newport I thought I was going to die. I hated it in every way. I think I was sat next to McKee (who I recognised from PD/fracture stuff) when I had to listen in to the guy I was paired with.

My girlfriend works there now, as Virgin Media in the AUP department.
So much for the 10 year plan
I just wanna get drunk and headbang
Posted Image

Posted Image

#80 chi

chi

Opposite Octave Reaction

• Middle Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

i left before i was sacked. i was pretty useless and totally unable to help people if they had a mac. spent most of my time there on cheap whizz trying to avoid the cods. bad times. it was like The Office. scarily so. one bonus was the huge barefoot texan guy that knew literally everything about the internet, another was chilli day in the subsidised canteen.

i don't remember you, but then i've never met you. i used to ride in on my lambretta and spend most of the day spending my wages on ebay.

Spider Kitten Gigs:

New album :

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users