• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DOML

DOML

• Working Class
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

Heard a few people say that you dont really need them for recording with providing your using good quality mics etc. I know it can depend on your set up but I can defo see the benefit of having a preamp, am I wrong for thinking this?

#2 Jim Le Take

Jim Le Take

Good grief

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

A mic generally needs to be plugged into a preamp of some description whether it's part of a channel strip on a desk or a component of a sound card that you've got hooked up to your computer.

Are you thinking specifically of dedicated outboard preamps?

#3 Tom OD100

Tom OD100

shit.

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

When i finally build my little recording rig, I'll buy a Focusrite Platinum Octopre, I used one last year in conjunction with a Motu 828 II and a fairly bland compressor that i wouldn't recommend but the results were pretty good, it was pretty quick to balance the levels and for the price range it sounded really good. I think the one i used had an ADAT connection which was fairly useful too, and it had other features like word clock etc. that i didnt have a use for.

Basicly i think the quality of recording will be a lot better if you use a decent preamp and it would be a necessity for me.

#4 Jim Le Take

Jim Le Take

Good grief

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

I just use the Soundcraft pre's on my desk at the moment and they're okay. Fairly neutral. Personally, I think I'd prefer to spend my money on decent mic's first and then look into getting better pre's as the necessity arrises. I've thought a couple of times that I could probably use something super clean with lots of headroom for my ribbons.

#5 Tom OD100

Tom OD100

shit.

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

What mic's do you use jim? This is something i seriously have to look into in the near future and upgrade from the fairly standard stuff that i use currently.

#6 Jim Le Take

Jim Le Take

Good grief

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:38 AM

What mic's do you use jim?

These, and I need a bunch more!

2 x Oktava ML52 (Factory matched)
2 x Beyer M201
AKG D112
Audio Technica Pro37R
" " AT2020 (not great but it only cost me 50)
A couple of pretty terrible, noisy omni's that I use as room mic's

#7 PeteStaunch

PeteStaunch

staunch

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

bollocks I thought this was going to be about guitar pre-amps

benders

#8 PeteStaunch

PeteStaunch

staunch

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

I apologise for killing this thread

#9 Tom OD100

Tom OD100

shit.

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

You could talk about guitar pre-amps if you wanted, Pete. :D

#10 PeteStaunch

PeteStaunch

staunch

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

I lust after a rack mounted Mesa V Twin, for no other reasons other than its made of chequer plate, is called 'V Twin' which is a motorcycle reference and its made by Mesa

#11 JayX

JayX

Chief Cheese Smuggler

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,422 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

blast from the past!

in the motu thread I queried about drum recording via the motu due to only having two preamped xlr inputs, I'm presuming the only way to record from more than 2 mic sources would be to add on a unit like the behringer ada8000.. 8 preamps over adat for about 150 quid which isn't too bad (and extends my live recordings up to a ridiculous amount of inputs). I read the preamps are pretty transparent.. would the combination of the motu and the behringer work pretty good together given I don't want to spend loads and its only for hobby stuff really (odd demo recording with borrowed mics and live stuff).

I'm looking to put the two units into a 3u warwick rockbag for easy transportation, given theres a unit spare is there anything else I should consider for the future that the macbook can't do (given I have pretty good sources for software and have things like guitar rig etc)

ta!

#12 Jim Le Take

Jim Le Take

Good grief

• Working Class
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

I've never been impressed with the Behringer stuff I've used, even for the price. Up to you though. I've never seen an ada8000. It could either be a total bargain or you could end up with eight wonky, temperamental, distorted preamps. Another option might the the more-affordable-end Focusrite stuff. Look up 'Octopre'. I've never used one personally although I know people who have them and they seem to be a safer bet.

As for the the other rack space - Dunno. A half decent limiter/compressor?

#13 JayX

JayX

Chief Cheese Smuggler

• 1%er
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,422 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

Ah the cost of that plus the ADAT card is twice the cost of the motu itself, can't justify it as it won't be used for lots n lots. I know our practise studio (Space) has an ADA8000 so I'll see how its going with them, he seemed happy the last time I asked as I'd thought of using one in another application. I know Behringer aren't the best choices but if I'm lucky to get one that works as it should then fingers crossed it'll do what I need it to :) Cheers!

#14 tech

tech

• Working Class
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:34 AM

remember that whatever your crappest link in the chain is will bottleneck your quality... you want a fairly balanced setup all round if you can get it.

that's not to say some parts are weighted more than others, they certainly are. but as a general rule, ^^^ applies.
"ladies and gentlemen... tequila rose... the arabic stallion... the beast from the middle east..."

basses:
1983 Ric (White)
1988 Musicman Stingray
1990s Ibanez Prestige Sr3006e

ampeg head, warwick cabs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users