Band recommendations

I'm pretty awful at actively looking for new music. My maxim is basically that all the best records have already been made, and I'm still discovering things from the 60s - 90s as my "new" music. But now that I'm in a band again and follow our label on Instagram, I'm getting to see that there are in fact still really good records being made. So I guess this can be a thread for recommendations of new albums, as they come out that really make you joyous. 

My first is Modern Rituals new album This Is The History. I'm immediately obsessed with it. Super clever heavy alt-rock vibes. It occasionally reminds me of some bands that I love (Fugazi often springs to mind but possibly mostly because his voice sounds a bit like MacKaye's) while always remaining very distinctly them. Can't recommend it enough.

Then there's Holy Roar's newest release by Elephant Tree. I think it only came out yesterday and I've already rinsed the whole thing on youtube like 4 times. His voice is stunning. 

So what new records have got you fired up?

• Like 1

Criminally underrated band you may have heard of already from the North East called Geist - angry, scrappy hardcore with more than a few nods to Cursed (Chris does guest vocals on the album...);

Edited by stillagoth
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed Estuary Blacks album that they put out last year. That's probably the newest thing I've listened to.

But I will check these out because I'm listening to the same things over and over at the moment. 

Edited by Rae
1 hour ago, Rae said:

I really enjoyed Estuary Blacks album that they put out last year. That's probably the newest thing I've listened to.

But I will check these out because I'm listening to the same things over and over at the moment. 

Kinda surprised I've never heard of them, but yeah, I'm digging that. 

• Like 1
On 4/25/2020 at 11:39 AM, BlackHowl said:

I'm pretty awful at actively looking for new music. My maxim is basically that all the best records have already been made, and I'm still discovering things from the 60s - 90s as my "new" music. But now that I'm in a band again and follow our label on Instagram, I'm getting to see that there are in fact still really good records being made. So I guess this can be a thread for recommendations of new albums, as they come out that really make you joyous. 

My first is Modern Rituals new album This Is The History. I'm immediately obsessed with it. Super clever heavy alt-rock vibes. It occasionally reminds me of some bands that I love (Fugazi often springs to mind but possibly mostly because his voice sounds a bit like MacKaye's) while always remaining very distinctly them. Can't recommend it enough

Then there's Holy Roar's newest release by Elephant Tree. I think it only came out yesterday and I've already rinsed the whole thing on youtube like 4 times. His voice is stunning. 

6 hours ago, BlackHowl said:

Kinda surprised I've never heard of them, but yeah, I'm digging that. 

Totally agree with Elephant Tree, fantastic release. Bought that and their debut after hearing it (already had their 2nd). 

Estuary Blacks is also a really good listen. 

If you like Elephant Tree I'd suggest Spaceslug.  4 good albums, this one got me hooked on them

https://youtu.be/p4U6i2yeQ-0 

I'm going to check out Modern Rituals, sounds like my thing 

Edited by Recluse

Listening to the Elephant Tree one now and liking it. Modern Rituals wasn't for me, didn't dislike all elements something about the overall sound didn't vibe for me. Ah well.

I listen to new stuff all the time, and honestly can't think of anything that's stuck with me in a long time.

34 minutes ago, JayX said:

Modern Rituals wasn't for me, didn't dislike all elements something about the overall sound didn't vibe for me. Ah well.

I enjoyed Modern Rituals but didn't grab me, may be the vocals. Will probably check out their other stuff, might get me in to them. Something in it made me want to really like them.

I get that. I'm pretty tolerant of vocals as 99% do a much better job than I can. I found that with Elder, like their stuff but a lot of it is instrumental, the vocals don't do the music justice for me. That said watching them live it all fitted together. 

• 1 month later...

I don’t even know where to look for new music anymore so this thread intrigues me. The new Phoebe Bridgers is real good.

A podcast recently brought these to my attention;

Mindforce - Excalibur
think Leeway but harder

Ekulu - NYHC/Crossover 

Edited by Rhys A
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 6:39 AM, BlackHowl said:

But now that I'm in a band again

What you called?

I’ve been on a noise, contemporary music and jazz buzz for a few years now but always kept a few heavy things to listen to but often related to the weird stuff. I’ve got some hardcore recommends too.

the last The Body record was great

Sightless pit caught my attention. Singer from full of hell and drummer/producer from the body and Kristin hayter (lingua ignota)

Lingua ignota

edit: not sure why lingua ignota is the only one embedding.