Vivarium (Imogen Poots, Jess Eisenberg)

I stopped the trailer halfway through because I was instantly sold, but the Kermode review made it sound like it would be a better short film or TV episode. I still plan to see it though, it does look cool but I have tempered expectations at least.

Can't be arsed with a thread for each film but I've watched a few more this month due to lockdown:

13 Hours - Best Michael Bay film, possibly his apology for the turd that was Pearl Harbour. It seemed to sneak onto Netflix quietly without the usual Michael Bay hype. Based on some siege/SEALS/CIA snafu in Libya after the fall of Gadaffi. The CIA hate it. 

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Clunky, awkwardly paced/edited, and I am fully fucking done with Tarantino's feet fetish. Pulp Fiction it ain't. 

Siege Of Jadotville - Decent, obviously very polished compared to the true brutality of what went down that fateful day. Funny bit where the enemy is charging across a medium sized field, yet seems to take about 10 minutes of running to do so. 

Ad Astra - Meh. Tommy Lee Jones should have gone full Colonel Kurtz at the end. Good cinematography I guess.

Sicario 2 - First one was decent, this one is really fucking good. 

Bonus photo of Imogen Poots with a skateboard for no reason. 

Cn7axMtUkAIfC97.jpg

9 hours ago, Hooked Lung said:

Can't be arsed with a thread for each film but I've watched a few more this month due to lockdown:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Clunky, awkwardly paced/edited, and I am fully fucking done with Tarantino's feet fetish. Pulp Fiction it ain't. 

Ad Astra - Meh. Tommy Lee Jones should have gone full Colonel Kurtz at the end. Good cinematography I guess.

Sicario 2 - First one was decent, this one is really fucking good. 

Some weird takes in that lot for me!

I absolutely loved OUATIH, and I'm not one to think QT can do no wrong. After Hateful 8, I thought this was a spectacular return to near Inglorious Basterds level form. 

Agree that Ad Astra was a total waste of good ingredients. 

When it comes to Sicarios, I thought it was taken as fact that the first one is a modern masterpiece and the second one was only decent?

TBH Tarantino stuff usually clicks better with me on the second viewing. I will give it another go at some point but it's by no means high on my to-do list.

Sicario - noted. I think I watched it on a tablet while in a hotel room!! More fool me, I'll give it another spin. 

I'm curious as to how Hollywood will stack up on a second viewing, mainly due to the

Sharon Tate stoyline that's a great red herring the first time, but might feel a bit of a waste of time the second time around?

I liked it, but it took over an hour of watching for it to somewhat click. Up til that point I was mainly enjoying the performances and the attention to detail that QT always puts in.

Last night I got around to 1917, which I'm in two minds about. The cinematography is of course excellent, but throughout I was wondering if the film itself was compromised because of it. But at the same time there's plenty of good war movies already, so does it matter? It did kind of feel like a video game, but again is that necessarily a bad thing? I couldn't find anything to actively dislike about it, just more questioning than anything. ****

Coach, you want me to rename this thread to something like 'What Movies Have You Been Watching?' ?

4 hours ago, JayX said:

Last night I got around to 1917, which I'm in two minds about. The cinematography is of course excellent, but throughout I was wondering if the film itself was compromised because of it. But at the same time there's plenty of good war movies already, so does it matter? It did kind of feel like a video game, but again is that necessarily a bad thing? I couldn't find anything to actively dislike about it, just more questioning than anything. ****

I found it entirely distracting. You know that beautiful shot where they go down into the big crater and the camera hovers across the water as they skirt around the outside? All I could think of was the logistics of the steadycam operator stepping onto some crane platform. Basically that for the whole movie. Even though I was consciously trying not to look for the digital cuts, I couldn't help myself. Also, that Tommen Baratheon kid just isn't a good actor. Nowhere near good enough to carry a two-hander like that. Didn't feel a jot of emotional resonance at any point really. 

Yeah exactly, it was a good exercise in technical filmmaking and I was definitely thinking the same thing about some of the scenes with regards to mentally working out the tech side. The approach made it feel less real than a lot of other films I think. It's just too perfected, it feels like every movement is rehearsed until every milimeter of movement was nailed. I think I'd just as much watch a version of the film that was someone running after the cameraman with a handycam showing just how it was all done. 

19 hours ago, JayX said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sharon Tate stoyline that's a great red herring the first time, but might feel a bit of a waste of time the second time around?

Coach, you want me to rename this thread to something like 'What Movies Have You Been Watching?' ?

Negative, off topic is our brand.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, BlackHowl said:

...that beautiful shot where they go down into the big crater and the camera hovers across the water as they skirt around the outside? All I could think of was the logistics of the steadycam operator stepping onto some crane platform. Basically that for the whole movie. Even though I was consciously trying not to look for the digital cuts, I couldn't help myself.

OK well that description alone has given me the horn so I'm putting this film on the to-do list.

I'm an unashamed Tarantino fanboy and I thought Hateful 8 was tedious and Hollywood was very pretty but ultimately disappointing. At least I enjoyed watching Hollywood, lots of great performances and cool kitsch.

I really enjoyed 1917, but I watched it with literally zero knowledge. It was only halfway through I realised they were doing the one camera thing. 

Interested in seeing Hollywood just because it's probably cool visually, but I have never been a fan of Tarantino at all. Didn't like the last one I saw about cowboys or something, Better Kill BIll was boring, and the one about a Big Mac being called Une Grande Burgere in France was okay but so over-hyped. His stuff just doesn't sit with me for some reason.

Can't see Hollywood changing your opinion on him tbh, but yeah you might enjoy the visual part.

Keeping this thread on the Eisenberg topic, did anyone see The Art of Self Defense? I really enjoyed it personally, decent black comedy.

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 9:08 AM, Hooked Lung said:

Anyone seen? It's like an episode of Black Mirror meets Inside Number 9 with a light sprinkling of The Shining or maybe the Omen. I'd say the premise is stronger than the execution, I'd give it 6 out of 10. 

I actually watched this not long after you posted (didn’t realise it at the time).

I quite liked this, I wasn’t really sure at the time but it grew on me (creeped me out) a few days later after it being on my mind.

I’ll defiantly revisit it in a few years.